Remington Model 700 - USA Today article - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Remington Model 700 - USA Today article

For those of you that attacked my recap of the Dateline NBC documentary on the Remington Model 700 - please read the attached story.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ger-cnbc_N.htm

Your opinions are your opinions...my point is to simply bring the POTENTIAL problem to light for someone out there who owns a Remington Model 700 and is perhaps unaware of this POTENTIAL issue.

Have gun, will travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington Model 700 - USA Today article

popping popcorn...

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Part of the Community

So the newer rifles with the X-mark pro are Ok, is that true?
Because I just bought this gun brand new....

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l-700-xcr.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage

Let's get this straight: It's not about opinions.

IT is about the same CNBC "expose" being posted over and over and over again, as if it was aired yesterday. That show aired in October. The USA article is just a continuation of events.

It was essentially just another rehash of previous media coverage of the exact same issue, that has aired, been written about and yapped about for the past 20+ years.

Primarily in the same media that overtly delights in casting firearms and firearms owners in the least positive light.

Yes, it is a serious issue that people using older M700s need to know about.

By now, it should not be news to anyone that uses Remington firearms? Except those who were not born yet when it first appeared on the radar; Have been in solitary confinement since the 80s, or don't pay much attention to much of anything?

I'll sticky your link to the USA story, just for those people who missed the other half dozen go-rounds here in the past several years. Then it dies.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM

My opinion is the same as it's been since this was first posted here on HPA

Anyone with a Remington 700 that they feel is UN - safe
please contact me immediately - I will give scrap price for as many as you can bring me.

Bottom line - and if read your article

small amounts of rust, debris, or even a small jolt can cause the trigger connector to become misaligned, forcing the trigger itself to lose contact with the rest of the firing mechanism

don't try to blame the manufacture for someone not taking care of a firearm.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Sage

By most expert accounts, there were inherent problems with the original (Walker) M700 trigger assembly. Much of which has been amplified by the issues you mentioned.

I have read discussions on this over the years, by gunsmiths, gunwriters and other knowledgeable folks, who agree that the original triggers can cause problems, under the right (wrong) circumstances.

I have been around M700s since the 1970s and have never known anyone with such a problem, including those I own myself. My huntin' bud owned over a dozen M700s, most of which had those triggers. No problems and all had been "tinkered" with years ago.

Things can happen with mechanical devices. What has always bothered me about the reports, is that in almost every case, injuries or deaths are more attributable to the shooter not exercising appropriate gun handling.

If you are not pointing the firearm at something or someone and it goes off unexpecedly, all that generally results is a bad scare. I've never trusted anyone's safety and never point a firearm where it ought not to be pointed. So if one ever does go off, the worst that should happen is me gettin' damp skivvies?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
The Man

While hunting in Wyoming in 1983, I stood next to a hunting partner as he was loading his 700. The rifle fired when the bolt was closed on a live round. Muzzle was pointed away and into the ground.

Could not make it do it again. But, you always wonder about it from then on.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Took the saftey off mine one year after a buck appeared right next to me and it went off. luckly no one else around and deer looked in the direction of the shot while I racked another and took his heart out. Never did it again and I still have it. I always make sure where I'm pointing it when there's around in the chamber.

Percussus resurgo
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

well if u don't like the remmies, don't buy em. duh? and the "potentail issue" prob. started with a home trigger job, ya know the fools who think they needs a 2 oz. trigger on a deer rifle.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In my opinion, the trigger has some problems, not to the extent of the media.

Yes, rules of safe gun handling would have saved those lives.

Most of the lawsuits, were the result of accidentially hitting the trigger. Just like the sudden car accelerations result mostly from victoms hitting the gas not the brake.

It does worry me that Remington dodges the question by using the phrase "attributes all the incidents to improper maintenance". What is proper maintenance?? Has Remington explained what they think proper maintenance is??

Yes I have 7 model 700s the oldest from about 1962. would I buy another, absolutely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page