Transferring a handgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Transferring a handgun

If I want to give a handgun to my 41 yr old son, do we need to file a FFL?

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:50 AM

YEP... go to the FFL they will charge you 10 to 30 bucks.. but it has to be transferred. ALL handguns...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

father to son but to be sure go to FAQ on ATF website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:24 AM

How far back does that go?
Around 8 years ago I traded a guy 2 used SS props for a Ruger Mark II target pistol. It was a hand off deal but I did make him Sign a letter transferring the gun to me.
Last year he died and I was thinking of trading it in for something else so how would I deal with that?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM

a father to son handgun transfer does NOT need to go through an FFL . if he wants to carry it concealed it is better to have the gun transferred in his name.

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner48 View Post
If I want to give a handgun to my 41 yr old son, do we need to file a FFL?

No, provided both of you live in PA and your son is not prohibited from possessing a firearm.

No transfers are needed between spouses, parents & child, grandparents & grandchild as long as the above is followed.

There is nothing requiring a firearm to be in the name of the person carrying it. My wife can carry any firearm in our house, even though I bought it and it was transferred from the FFL to me.

Steve

Last edited by Steve in PA; 11-26-2016 at 01:14 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
How far back does that go?
Around 8 years ago I traded a guy 2 used SS props for a Ruger Mark II target pistol. It was a hand off deal but I did make him Sign a letter transferring the gun to me.
Last year he died and I was thinking of trading it in for something else so how would I deal with that?

Goes back a lot longer than 8 years, probably back to the Gun Control Act of 1968. Bought my first handgun in 1978 and it was in effect back then.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One thing that continually comes up is "the gun isn't registered to me". THERE IS NO GUN REGISTRATION IN THE UNITED STATES. O ther than for class 3 and other destructive devices.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA/MDBowhunter View Post
Goes back a lot longer than 8 years, probably back to the Gun Control Act of 1968. Bought my first handgun in 1978 and it was in effect back then.
This was the only hand gun I have that was not either brought new or from a licensed gun dealer so I never even gave it a thought about transfer of ownership.
I knew the guy owned the gun and that was why having him sign the letter with the date I got it and the make, model and serial number was good enough for me. I kept the paper under the foam lining of the case along with the manual.
I was thinking about trading it in at a gunshop and getting something else but keeping it for the grand kids to punch holes in paper behind the house is no biggie either.
When I saw the origional post it made me think how this could affect a legitimate sale/trade and if it would set off any red flags.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Sage

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

wmu 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page