Need help with Cartridge choice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need help with Cartridge choice

Thanks in advance, folks.

I want to buy another rifle and I am looking to you for discussion on caliber. Years ago, I bought a Savage 16 weather warrior in 300WSM for my "deer and bigger" gun. Then two years ago, I bought a Savage Model 10 Predator in .260 Rem for my "deer and smaller" gun. I like them both, but they are heavy!

I am heading to Colorado next year for elk, and after lugging the 300WSM around in Sproul State Forest on Saturday, I want to buy a lighter weight rifle for my trip.

I have settled on a Tikka T3 Lite as the gun for two reasons. 1.) Reputation of accuracy, 2.) I have always wanted one. So unless I hit the lottery and bring home a Kimber Mountain Ascent, the Tikka is my choice.

The problem I have is what cartridge.

I love the .308 caliber, I already have 2 30-06's - one a 1903 Springfield sporterized and the other a 760 Gamemaster and my .300WSM

My dad and brother love the 7mm Rem Mag, and I like it too.

I wouldn't mind smaller with lighter recoil so the .308 Win is in my head.

I do not want a 270.

my question is this. If you were going to buy a Tikka to try and have a sub 8lb rifle. what caliber would get and why?

the options are, in the order I am most inclined:
7mm Rem Mag
.30-06
.300 WSM
.308 Win

Let's here you thoughts!

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

My vote is for the 7mm
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM

7mm mag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM
dce
Sage

I've owned about 8 different 308's over the years along with many other calibers.I always come back to the .308 and it will always be my primary Pa rifle.I bought my son a Montanna in .308 the day after he was born.I had him using a .243 his two first years hunting and when he turned 9,I worked up a reduced load for the Montanna.This year as an 11 year old,I have him shooting 130gr barnes ttsx with a hot load of varget.Recoil is still mild for a kid but that load kills deer with authority.I had to have another Montanna so I bought another one for myself a couple months ago.I'm shooting my old standby load with 165 gr accubonds.To me and for the style of hunting we do,nothing beats a nice light .308 bolt action.

I also had a Tikka T3 in both a .308 and 7mm-08.They're nice and light and shoot great.A .308 just works.Ammo and components are always easy to find and it's usually easy to work up a good load.Nothing wrong with a Tikka but if you really like light guns like I do,it's hard to beat a Kimber.I have 4 montanna's and probably won't ever buy anything else.They are a little more money but it's not a huge difference when you factor it over how long you'll have it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Keep in mind those T3's being light makes them easier to carry, but they do give your shoulder a belt.

I wouldn't want one in anything hotter than a 7mm Rem Mag, and even at that, I'd probably think hard about replacing the factory "pad" (they aren't much of a pad) with a Decelerator or Limbsaver.

The 7mm will do nicely for elk, for sure. Of what you listed, that's probably what I'd pick, but I'd replace the recoil pad.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Do what l did. I couldn't afford a new Kimber either so l bought a used one!?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM
dce
Sage

I have a Kimber Montanna is 300 wsm and I don't find it obnoxious to shoot and you don't get much lighter than that.My buddy has T3 IN 300 WSM.I shot that gun and didn't think it was bad at all.A 7mm mag wouldn't be bad and the T3's come with a decent recoil pad.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Banned

Keep it simple....stick with the 308.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Banned

If I ever need a western bolt action it will be a Sako 85 Hunter.

Of the calibers you listed, I would go with the 7mm. I think it would perform best at longer ranges.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 PM

You can't beat a standard old fashion 7 rm or 300 am, either will serve you well for the long haul...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page