Will you go to the range this week end ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Will you go to the range this week end ?

I will but not to shoot! I go to collect brass from the folks that don't hand load.
A whole lot of them will shoot nearly a box of rounds and i get to see gun barrels so hot you can't touch them ! Guys mad at their new hunters because they can't hit the target? { Of course it is the first time they had them since last year to shoot!}
Guys leaving and heading to Walmart or Dick's to buy more ammo and maybe come back to try again?
I use to try to help these folks but a lot of them don't like it if they are with their friends, it makes them look like they don't know what they are talking about with sighting in a gun ?
You get to see such a pile of different brands of guns and some wild calipers too! Last year i see 222's up to a 375 H&H Magnum.
I have seen older guys with open sights and maybe and old 30-30 winchester or a Mauser stand up,off hand,drill the bulls eye at 100 yards. Take 2 shots and leave. These guys are my hero's!!!!!!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 AM

I wont be at the range. I made sure my rifles were squared up about a month ago. Additionally starting early allows me to correct any issues that may come up before the range becomes a mad house.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
I have seen older guys with open sights and maybe and old 30-30 winchester or a Mauser stand up,off hand,drill the bulls eye at 100 yards. Take 2 shots and leave. These guys are my hero's!!!!!!

I've never seen that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:21 AM

I won't be anywhere near a range...or sporting goods store.

My flintlock is dialed in and my 35 Whelen is too...

Sadly my buddy hasn't asked me to shoot his guns... usually every year or 2 he does....I get to shoot somewhere between 4-10 guns of his.(his kids and grandkids guns too..)..he says he can't shoot off a bench well enough to check his scope so he has me do it...

I usually do the same for my dad...

It is interesting to glass other targets while my barrels cool or I wait to walk down range...
nomad_archer likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:04 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I wanted to go Saturday to do some last minute stuff I decided to monkey with. I have two pre64 Winchesters (30-06 and 270) ready to roll, along with a modern Winchester M70 in 300WSM all setup, so I'm good to hunt.

I wanted to verify the zero on my 45-70 Guide Gun as an after thought, and I made some 41 Mag loads I'd like to try out.

I ran out of time Saturday with yard work and such, and Sunday was pretty pointless with the wind. I may have to try to get there first thing Thurs. AM and hope for the best. The 45-70 shouldn't be off much, if any, so that should go quick. The 41 will take a few shots just to see what it likes (have 6 loads made up to try), but then it should be a matter of loading ammo to hunt and being done with it.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wonder if those offhand shooting oldtimers are using factory ammo that has the bullet crimped in the cannelure or handloads?
nomad_archer likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

You, know, the funny thing is that since I'm loading straight-walled stuff for my two firearms I want to check at the range, I actually did just that, lol.

My bottlenecked stuff, not so much.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I normally stay away from the range during this last week. I make sure any firearms that I might use have been sighted in and checked by this time. However, I might swing by the range and put a few rounds through my handgun at the pistol range, which shouldn't be too busy.

Steve
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:12 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a range of sorts at our hunting camp. A backstop and bench in a field. I already have my rifle squared away but will go up and hang out with a couple buddies who need to do some last minute shooting in. If there are no other guys there, we will also shoot pistols and stuff.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 PM

Only if I get bored and need a good laugh...

Hunt Safe
Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page