6.5x55 one of the best kept secrets? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

6.5x55 one of the best kept secrets?

was looking to getting a light mid range mt rifle for deer and came across some intresting facts about the old swede...first off much to popular opinion. the old swede has more case capacity than either the 260 or 7mm -08...ALL!! the factory specs are based on a 50,000 to 51,000 pressure rating, because of all the ex military surplus rifles chambered for it..in comparison...the 260 7mm-08 270 ect are at least 60,000....even at such low pressure it is very close to a 260, all most identical in fact...BUT!!...and here's the neat thing about it...the swede when used in a modern bolt action rifle such as a tikka cz ruger remington classic ect...and loaded to the same pressures can trounce them both...good luck finding load data..for higher pressure loads...no one wants to publish them..because some nimrod is bound to try it in a weaker action....after studying the swede i have come to the conclusion it is the better of the three....1..more case capacity...2...able to shoot longer bullets better...one of the biggest faults of both the 260 and 7mm-08 is there inability to seat long bullets without taking up powder space...the neck on a 260 measures .259 the neck on the 7mm-08 measures .284 and the swede...313...couple the longer neck with the fact that it also is chambered in long action which gives more room for those long hgh BC bullets...129 grain sst can easily be loaded to 2950fps...hmm bumping up close behind the 270 win 130 grain bullet with less powder. the 120 grainers can easily top the coveted 3000 fps mark and actually hit 3100...hmmm...did someone mention 25-06?....seems the old swede is a real nice kept secret to me...something i'm going to look into a bit farther...never could figure out why it was so poular across the sea and not here....could be they know something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 6.5x55 one of the best kept secrets?

yes the old swede is a fine caliber.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 AM

swede is good, I have 2 260's and like them both.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM

The capabilities of the 6.5x55 ain't no secret. Load data for high pressure loads? Why would you need that? Messing with high pressure in any firearm is not a good thing. Anyone with a reloading bench and a set of dies can dump a compressed load in a case, ram down a bullet on top and make a hand grenade.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gun nuts have been writing about the effectivenesss of 6.5 bullets for over 100 years. They are right! Even at moderate velocities those long slender pills just plain kill. I just ordered the new Hornady Superformance ammo. for the 6.5x55, this stuff almost removes the need to handload for better performance.No manufacture will sell the powder used in these wonder shells, not yet anyway!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Sage

Last year I bought a CZ 550FS in the 6.5 Swede and love it!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

No secret, no magical abilities. Toss a blanket over the cartridges mentioned above and you nor the quarry will notice a difference in the end.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage

I knew a guy that bought a 6.5 Swede back in the late 80's, I think. Might have been a Winchester Featherweight. What a shooter.

BTW, why push the Swede if you don't have to? The idea of the Swede and the 260 are they are killers and low recoil. Why try to turn them into something they don't have to be?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Gun nuts have been writing about the effectivenesss of 6.5 bullets for over 100 years. They are right! Even at moderate velocities those long slender pills just plain kill. I just ordered the new Hornady Superformance ammo. for the 6.5x55, this stuff almost removes the need to handload for better performance.No manufacture will sell the powder used in these wonder shells, not yet anyway!
I didnt realize Hornady offered the 6.5 Swede Ammo in Superperformance line. Great news...will have to ck it out. Ive been shooting the custom Norma Oryx ammo in 156 grain but pretty salty.

Does Hornady use their interlocks in the 6.5 140 grain Superperformance ammo??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5X55/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page