Flying with firearms - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Flying with firearms

What are your experiences flying with guns? Any horror stories or have they mostly been good? Are there any guns you hunt with that you wouldn't think of taking on board a flight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Sage

Re: Flying with firearms

Invest in a good case...and not an aluminum one that will dent. I'd reccomend a pelican case.

Other than that just be sure what ever you get can be secured by padlocks and if possible avoid Denver Airport.

I have air traveled alot with my rifles. No real horror stories other than the cases take a beating. I once watched my case going up the conveyor into the belly of the plane. Next thing I know it came flying back out onto the ground. From the trajectory it didn't appear like it just fell out. I have had my rifles miss connecting flights a time or two. But they show up at the airport usually within a day or so.

Only suggestion I would make is if you're a home-owner you can add a no deductable ryder to your policy for a specific firearm. It's pretty cheap (think mine is for $1500 & costs $30 a year for my travel gun).

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
The Man

I've never travelled with a gun, but a bow on several occasions. Get the best case you can afford. SKB(SBK??)not sure which exactly, but it has held up very well for me. They take a pounding.

Knock on wood, I've not had any issues.

NRA Patron Life Member
RMEF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Part of the Community

Cases do take a beating sometimes. I use quick detach mounts and always pull my scope and keep it in my carry on. You have to check zero anyhow when you get where you're going.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
The Man

im lucky going west 3 drives with trailer packed with gear and guns rest of gang show up at airport maybe acarry on. Last year sitting in montrose you hear the thus thud smack yep gun cases smacking one another heck the whole plain was hunters. I heard someone say to ups it to say your outfitter maybe a little better. i know last year when i had my edge built by a smith in state of washington i bought a nice pelican and sent it out for return of gun. Then i really got thinking im going to send it 2nd day ground is 5 days 3 less days to be thrown around and an extra 150.00. i had it insured high and there was all kind of labels saying highly insured handle with care. might of helpled.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
The Man

On a trip to Billings Montana, our flights got changed and we ended up doing a bunch of connections..When we got to Billings, our luggage did not...One by one the bags began to come in and get delivered to our motel room...All except my new Ruger 300 Magnum( The only good shooting Ruger I ever owned) !.....I think that when it came in, somebody at the airport recognized it as a gun and swiped it right off of the carousel...At any rate, I'll never know... I was miserable...Sure, I borrowed a gun,,I got reimbursed by the airline for the rifle, but it still ruined a $4K hunt...Rifle never turned up.

Here's a note..If you ever have to file a claim with an airline,,you better have receipts for those items!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Last time they lost a bag, they would not allow me to put a claim in for 30 days!

NEVER give up your baggage claim check. They ask you for it, and you never see it again. ThenWhat evidence do you have that you even checked a bag. I refuse, but will give them the check#.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Sage

SKB makes a decent case but when I was looking at them years back they didn't have provisions for padlocks...maybe they do now. All they had were those suitcase type locks on the latches. And the reason I mentioned padlocks and avoiding Dever Airport, is one of the dirty little tricks some baggage handlers like to play is unlocking those type locks (keys are fairly universal) and then notifying security of an unlocked firearm case. You get to your destination and your rifle is sitting back in Denver at the security office.

And that is not to say any gun case is bullet-proof. I had a GunGuard that was almost identical to my Pelican. But on it's first trip apparently one of the padlocks got hung up on something on the coveyor belt and the weight of the backed up luggage finally ended up tearing the side of the case out. I got it back with about a 4" hole ripped in it. Luckily it was on my return trip cuz I am not sure it would have passed muster to get it on a plane. The airline made good on the case (was about $100) without problem...I took that as a lesson and put that money toward a pelican case.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
The Man

Every claim check has a number and they have it in their computer as well..Believe me, I put that airline through the ringer..After the whole fiasco was done, I got to read the entire loss report..They described me as "irate"..I got a chuckle out of that.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I have an aluminum case that was made for me by my son in law. I have taken scoped rifles to Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, several Canadian provinces, and several western states. I have also heard good things about the Pelican cases and about the Browning gun vaults. The advice above about purchasing a really good case is sound because it will take abuse.

Several years ago, I watched the idiots from TSA put my case through an X-ray thing. When they conveyer belted it out of the machine it slammed against a wall. My two scoped rifles arrived in Africa needing only a check shot to see that they were still sighted in.

One additional piece of advice. The Safari Club has an approved insurance agency that will issue you a policy to cover damage or loss to your rifles while on trips. It is a good idea if you will be taking any sort of expensive rifle with you to have such a policy in force.
http://www.huntandtravel.com/gunins.htm

Any more questions, just ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page