Remington model 700 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remington model 700

I was surfing the tv yesterday and caught a alarming show from CNBC about the Remington 700 it was titled Remington Under Fire.. the 1hr program was about the 700's safety issues in the trigger assy.. Some gut wrenching stories of miss fires and deaths. and the cover up involved.. I have my Father's 700 3006 BDL which my Son is now using it was puchased during the time of these issues ( 1973) Now it has never missed fired like stated in the story.. but It doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies now.. Did anyone catch this show also? or have miss firing issues with their early model 700's? They say a recall was neevr issued...

I'm a little concerned now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Re: Remington model 700

Make sure your trigger hasn't been modified by a "garage gunsmith" and clean the dirt and gunk out of it every now and then. You should be fine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM

RUN plain old lighter fluid straight through it...just dump it right down from the top..it's so thin that it will cut all the built-up junk that accumulates over the years..give it ten or more squirts and let it drain out the bottom..I've never had a single problem with hang-fire because of the trigger sticking after doing this.. I use Kroil alot when cleaning my barrels BUT NEVER LET IT GET INTO THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY..it junks up faster than I ever thought..I rarely ever use it on my hunting rifles or let it get into the trigger of my target rifles.. it's a super cleaner but a real problem in the trigger..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRack!
Some gut wrenching stories of miss fires and deaths.
Bottom line, if folks would follow THE basic rule of safe gun handling....."Don't point your gun at anything you don't wish to destroy", shows like this wouldn't be on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRack!
Some gut wrenching stories of miss fires and deaths.
Bottom line, if folks would follow THE basic rule of safe gun handling....."Don't point your gun at anything you don't wish to destroy", shows like this wouldn't be on.
+1

remember the media likes to "embellish" their stories. think about the exploding Chevy truck gas tanks story.

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Dad's 700 has never been modified.. all original.. but what they implicated was scary .. Even the Army wanted to do away with them. I'll have to let my Son know of the potential danger..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Part of the Community

Like was already said keep it clean and you'll be fine. I've handled countless 700's and the only problem I've ever seen is when uneducated people try "fixing" trigger pull. If you think about it the Army sure doesn't shoot triggers set at factory pull weight either
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
The Man

use a quality bore guide when cleaning the barrel and listen to what everyone else just posted. Remember anything mechaical is subject to breakdown and if break down happens pointed in a safe direction no one gets hurt.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
Remember anything mechaical is subject to breakdown and if break down happens pointed in a safe direction no one gets hurt.
VERY well said!

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page