Anyone use Hornady Leverevolutions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone use Hornady Leverevolutions

Unable to get out hunting last season, and can't wait to do some reloading with the .35 Remington Leverevolution.

It's an old caliber I used years ago in PA, and I look forward to using the Hornady leverevolution bullets/Hodgdon leverevolution powder.

Hope to get up to PA this year and use that old caliber on my hunts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Re: Anyone use Hornady Leverevolutions

My hunting buddy is a big .35 Remington fan. He was excited when they first came and bought a few boxes. They shot very well, he hunted with them and shot some deer with them also. He was impressed.

He was excited when the tips came out. He got 'em right away and we loaded some up. He found the point of impact a bit lower than the with the factory loads. We did a little research and found out that Hornady is using a powder blend that cannot be bought, which was developed especially for their ammo.

We did not chrono the loads to see how much less velocity we were getting. He decided to use the handloads, as they were more accurate.

He loves them. Good luck with them!

Ted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Regular Visitor

I use them in my Remington 760. They are the most accurate round I have found for my gun. For the quality, I think they are resonably priced. I have killed several deer with them. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedC54
My hunting buddy is a big .35 Remington fan. He was excited when they first came and bought a few boxes. They shot very well, he hunted with them and shot some deer with them also. He was impressed.
He was excited when the tips came out. He got 'em right away and we loaded some up. He found the point of impact a bit lower than the with the factory loads. We did a little research and found out that Hornady is using a powder blend that cannot be bought, which was developed especially for their ammo.

We did not chrono the loads to see how much less velocity we were getting. He decided to use the handloads, as they were more accurate.

He loves them. Good luck with them!

Ted
By the way the powder is soon to be sold on the market

Psalms 16:1 O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Spring Ridge La formerly from Hazleton Pa
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Good to hear that the new leverevolutions are already working great in ol 35 Remington. It's still a good rifle with the old 200 gr. RN bullets. Leverevolution is a plus.

Old06 is right. Last year, only the loaded leverevolution bullets were available. Hodgdon powder, the leverevolution powder, just came out in the last month. (I see a couple of internet sites have it for sale. Haven't been to a local store yet)

Whether you buy ammunition or reload, leverevolution will be available for this year.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 PM

I'll admit that I considered the LE ammo when it came out. Then I thought about it a bit. Nothing against the stuff, but I simply don't need any ballistic advantage I'd get with it. In my 35 I'd be lucky to be able to shoot 100 yards where I carry it....the old 200gr RN still does just fine at that range anyway.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Can't comment on any reloading experience with the newly released powder. But, I've used the factory Hornady Lever-evolution ammo in my old Marlin 30-30 model 336A (70's version with the 24 inch barrel and the half mag) and my son and I are extremely pleased. Accuracy is is on par with the gun's other favorite factory load. They do about 1.25 inches at 100 yards on average. Terminal performance is great on the two deer he's shot with them. Last year it was a doe at about 35 yards, a front on angle that saw the bullet take the top of the heart off before exiting the off side just aft of the rib cage. This year it was a 5 point broad side at ~70 yards. Again, blew the heart to pieces with blood pumping out both sides.
That load will now be the standard for that gun. Sorry to my old favorite Remington 170 gr cor-lokts!

Big LSWC's rule
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM

I use them in my 45-70 and get cloverleaf groups at 100yds
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So far the Hornady Leverevolution rounds are the most accurate out of my .357 carbine, 1" group @ 50 yards. More consistent than Remington, American Eagle, and Double Tap.

The only problem I've encountered is that I can't stuff more than 3 rounds in the tubular magazine (capacity is 9). Apparently the polymer tips are too mushy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought 2 boxes of these for my 32 Special pre 64 (1944).Then i read they have problems ejecting them.I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if anyone has used them in a 32 Special pre 64 and what they thought of them,Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page