New LH Gun for Predator hunting .. Fox/Coyote - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New LH Gun for Predator hunting .. Fox/Coyote

Looking at getting a new gun here soon.. I was thinking a either a 204 caliber, or 22 hornet? .. Any one have any luck with these hunting coyotes or foxes? Also.. I'm looking for a LH Gun.. which is hard to find.. CZ American 527 or a Savage are looking like my only Options.. I really like the Howa 1500 mini, but they're RH only.. :/

Can anyone give me a little guidance here? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM

If you are looking to save hides (mainly fox) go with the Hornet. A .204 is hard on fox. I have a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and it is a tackdriver. I don't reload and shoot factory Hornady 35gr V-max's or Remington 45gr PSP's. The Remington are more fur-friendly. I mostly use a 12ga when calling at night but when I hunt more open areas where longer shots are possible I carry the Hornet.

Never Misses
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler View Post
If you are looking to save hides (mainly fox) go with the Hornet. A .204 is hard on fox. I have a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and it is a tackdriver. I don't reload and shoot factory Hornady 35gr V-max's or Remington 45gr PSP's. The Remington are more fur-friendly. I mostly use a 12ga when calling at night but when I hunt more open areas where longer shots are possible I carry the Hornet.
And the 22 Hornet is enough to drop a coyote in it's tracks and how far does it reach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you reload, you can just get a .223 and a can of Trail Boss. Then you'll have lots of rifles to choose from, Hornet type velocities if you want them and full power .223 loads when you need a little more.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:42 AM

My Hornet is good out to about 125-150yds.

Never Misses
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I was actually looking at the Mossberg Predator MVPS.. apparently they're suppose to be crazy accurate in 223, they have the package deal that comes with a scope. (37.5" barrel).. I really wish they made a left handed one tho...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Your far far better off with the .223, always the issue of brass availability in the future must be taken into account, why drive yourself nuts trying to find .204 or hornet brass when .223 brass is everywhere. You can adjust the .223 down to hornet velocities and use fmj to reduce pelt damage, plus if needed you can reach much further out and touch something.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yeah.. I'm leaning towards the 223. more.. I really like the MVP Predator.. I might just suck it up and get in RH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page