match grade question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

match grade question

since the steelers game is over and i am a lil bored..i have some time to sit here and think about stuff, and what better to think about than guns? question is.....what qualifies ammunition as match grade? i understand that it means that being match grade ammo it is suitable for being used in competitive "match". But, i just dont understand why the manufacturers claim some of their ammo as "match-grade" when it might not have won a match or competively placed. i can throw together some junk and take it to a match...that doesnt really mean i just made "match-grade" ammo. what are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM

Re: match grade question

So what is involved in making match-grade ammo? The short answer is that manufacturers simply take more pains doing the same things they do for standard ammo. In general terms, the loading rate is surely slowed down, and tooling (such as seating dies) will be selected to meet tighter tolerances. But the components are the biggest factor.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_82551656/
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tolerences are much tighter and more inspections of each cartridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
Tolerences are much tighter and more inspections of each cartridge.
Pretty much it,.
Federal has stated the only diff between their standard and match primers is basically some guy looking at them.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

haha. i know what the process is. im looking for opinions on whether you think it should really be called match-grade. just becasue they seat a bullet to a certain depth doesnt mean it will be any better. each rifle is different. as far as inspecting the cartridge and using cases the are closer in tolerence...in my opinion that is what they should be doing in the first place with all of their ammo. like i said...just curious as to whether you guys/gals think it really is or should be called match grade? sorry if i didnt type it clearly
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

I don't think it is so much "better" per say , as far as match ammo goes.
More "consistent" is a better way of putting it.
Which can cost more and not everyone needs/wants to pay for that extra.
Most folks agree it's costly enough that we don't need it all to be match ammo
Look at the diff in price between match 22LR and promo 22LR loads.
big jump in $$ and most don't need that for busting targets on a Sunday afternoon
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its marketing.

The word's "Match", "Tactical", and "Benchrest" are all part of the marketing of products. Can ammo and other products that use these words be better? Maybe. But 99% of the time its just marketing.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 AM

sorry Tony but I disagree with you on this one.if you are the hunter / shooter who is happy to hit a snuff can at 100 yards then yes it is marketing and I can not tell you any different.

if you are the hunter / shooter that measures your groups with dial calipers then you would already know what I am going to say. besides you would probably reload anyway.

I also think that all guns are different, some factory loads shoot as well as a custom load. I always get a kick from guys asking for a good load for ? (you pick the caliber) like your gun will shoot my load just like mine does. I digress there is a difference no doubt but it usally more consistant is all

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 AM
The Man

okey they take more pains how? Does it mean each one is weighed? hope so i do. bullet seating, how do they know where the lands are in each gun manuf. i think marketing also. Oh yea, go steelers!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700varmint
sorry Tony but I disagree with you on this one.if you are the hunter / shooter who is happy to hit a snuff can at 100 yards then yes it is marketing and I can not tell you any different.

if you are the hunter / shooter that measures your groups with dial calipers then you would already know what I am going to say. besides you would probably reload anyway.

I also think that all guns are different, some factory loads shoot as well as a custom load. I always get a kick from guys asking for a good load for ? (you pick the caliber) like your gun will shoot my load just like mine does. I digress there is a difference no doubt but it usally more consistant is all
I am the second type shooter that you described. And yes, I do reload. That is why I can say its 99% marketing. Manufacturers can NOT produce inconsistant ammo without having safty concers. And if "match" ammo is more consitant, what is it that is more consistant than "standard" ammo?

Lets say a manufacturer was able to produce a lot of match ammo that had 0% variation. All cases, bullets, primer, powder were 100% consistant. The loaded ammo had 0% runout and 0% variation in velocity. That still doesnt guarantee that it will shoot out of any gun accurately.

"Match" is just another keyword used by the marketing department. Just like Custom, Accu, Max, Supreme, Trophy, Ultra, ect ect ect. I even seen one manufacturer that sells "Custom Match" ammo; is this even better, more consistant, more accurate than standard "Match ammo"?

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page