Remington 760 after the shot.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Remington 760 after the shot....

I have a 760 that is 46 years old and in great shape. It is clean internally, locks up solidly, and without a jam. However, mine really likes to try and throw the casing out on it's own immediately after firing. Shooting off of the bench/sandbags yesterday with my hand under the pump, after the shot, the slide would move back almost 2" to the point where almost 3/4 of the casing can be seen. Is this normal? I understand it is probably well worn in from numerous cycles throughout 46 years, but I've shot rifles nearly as old that only opened maybe a 1/4" after the shot. The cases are extremely hot too so that tells me a lot of gas blowback is happening as the pressure drops in the chamber and barrel. My action is butter smooth, and I've handled 760's and 7600's that feel like someone threw a wad of gum onto the action tube and worked it in, so could the smoothness of the action just be the reason it wants to eject so effortlessly? I shot offhand and the same thing happens. I spoke to a gunsmith and he has said he has seen some do that too and it is more than likely just well-worn from age. It shoots great and everything like that and doesn't feel unsafe at all, I'm just wondering why it wants to open itself up rather than just unlocking after the shot. The first shot I took off of the sandbags, I had only the pump/forearm resting on the bags and the slide came back and the shell shot out like I had a semi-auto. Could it be a part that is too worn out perhaps? Maybe that pump ring that supposedly disintegrates after years and years? Just looking for input, the gun feels safe and all functionality is just fine, but what might be the problem?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 PM

I've seen .35 Whelens do it. But that's a recoil thing. Yours is a wear thing. Is it still safe? Yeah, it probably is.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 03:02 AM

Not to worry, nothings wrong...the bullet is long gone long before the action starts to open. What it shows is great machine work 50 years ago on great metal, smooth as silk.I had an /06 that do the samething. I have a pump 1300 W/W that completely comes back with heavy 2oz loads... Now if it doesn't want to lock up turn the wheel on the front of the forearm one way or the other until it closes and locks up. It could also be that it's turned that front wheel just enough that it's right at the very edge of closing/locking, might try turning it some until it won't lock and then turning it the other way until it does, if you have a gunsmith local you could drop in and let him do it if your not comfortable.

Last edited by 6-DASHER; 11-09-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 05:37 AM
Part of the Community

Not an issue at all. Common for a well used and cared for 760..,its safe and you will learn to hang on to the pump in actual shooting/ hunting conditions. 760 is one of Pa. Most popular weapon and rightfully so. These guns are killing machines..been carring one for 45 plus years..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

Nothing is wrong. You didn't state a caliber that I saw, but I would guess 30-06.

If the action is clean that's what's they do. My dad and my brothers 760's in 30-06 both do, and my 7600 in .35 Whelen definitely does. My Whelen pretty much always comes back the whole way so all I have to do is rock forward to chamber another one. I love it! If you practice enough, you can learn how to shoot it quick and accurately.

It is definitely caused by the recoil though because neither of the two 760's in .35 Rem do it much.

The 760/7600 is the best deer gun for PA and the whole North east IMO.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:36 AM

My .270 does it as well...No worries
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for all the input folks, glad to see I don't have a unique issue (or apparently a non-issue) on my hands.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 PM

I have heard of this happening in 760s and 7600s in most calibers.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It could be an internal parts issue IF you're not putting rearward pressure on the forearm when shooting. A couple of threads on this for your perusal:

Last edited by Hiamovi; 11-10-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: links to other outdoor or hunting sites is not allowed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page