AR 15 question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

AR 15 question

alright so last year I asked which would be better to purchase an AR-15 or AK-47. Most people thought the AR-15 would be better but I lucked into a steal on an AK. However a little later on this year I would like to purchase an AR. However I have seen a ton of advertisements for different makers and variations and it has been very confusing. It will be a several months before I purchase one but when making a purchase of this much money I like to shop around and look at the options. So that I don't experience buyers remorse. so I was wondering for those of you that have them what ones do you recommend and which ones would you stay away from. I sometimes hear good things about bushmaster (I like there M4) and sometimes not, I hear alot of good things about Colt but they are more expensive. Don't know alot about DPMS or Stag. I have also heard some guys on hear say they have saved alot of money by building there own and are satisfied but I wouldn't know where to begin. I would like an AR that will be reliable for defense, target shooting, and possibly varmint hunting if they ever legalize. I also am curious as to what you guys think would be the better caliber to purchase one in .308 or .223 once again for the activities mentioned above. I would like to stay at $1000 or under but if necessary will go above a little. Appreciate all info and insight, thanks guys.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: AR 15 question

for build it yourself info, look no further than here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

as far as caliber selection, you won't be able to build or buy one in 308 for the price you're looking. 223 is certainly the most economical way to go, both in rifle costs and ammo. 6.8spc is growing in popularity as well. However anything from .204 ruger to .50 beuwolf is on the table in standard ar15 trim.

you can save costs building your own if you aren't in a hurry, and wait for the right buys. i've found you usually end up spending a little extra, but get exactly what you want the first time (not to mention learn a lot in the process).

as far as buying one already assembled, i wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the makes you mentioned above. keep in mind many of the parts come off the same lines regardless of who stamps there name on it in the end. (at one time there were guides on ar15.com aka arfcom that stated who made what and for whom).

In any event, you should be able to buy or build a good shooter for 1,000, especially if sticking to 223.

NRA Member
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't have a whole lot of experience with ARs but I have a Bushmaster carbine. I'm completely satisfied with it. It feeds everything I've tried in it reliably, it's reasonably accurate and I got a pretty good deal on it used. I have two friends that have DPMS models that are also really nice but I'm not sure what they cost.
As far as calibers I would stick with the 223 for ammo costs mainly. I don't see us being able to hunt with them in this state any time soon unfortunately.
One thing I would look into is are you more comfortable shooting a flat top model with open sights/optics or one with the optics mounted to a carry handle. Mine are mounted to the carry handle and I personally find it more comfortable than shooting my friends that are mounted down on the upper but that's personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM

For a rifle already built and under 1,000 I would say Spikes Tactical (should be right around $800 or so) would be the way to go. With the Spikes you will get a better built rifle than Stag, DPMS, or the like for about the same price. If you can scrape up a little more than I would go Daniel Defense or Colt.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter
I would like an AR that will be reliable for defense, target shooting, and possibly varmint hunting if they ever legalize.
Your asking alot right there. If legal, you could varmint hunt with a defense style AR, but it won't be ideal. M4 style guns have terrible trigger pulls and often are not free floated. If you like to shoot groundhogs in the head at 200 yards, you won't do it with an M4. Especially in the price range you are talking, you likely won't get one suitable for varmint hunting for under $1200. Then its not really a great defensive weapon.

You have an AK for defense, I suggest you go with a Varmint style AR as opposed to a carbine.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Any of the brands you name are GTG.

I have a STAG and love it.

Be sure it is chambered for 5.56 not 223. The military loads are higher power and cannot be fired in a rifle chambered as 223. 223 work fine in 5.56 chambered guns.

The round looks the same, it is the pressure that is different.

Federal has been selling 5.56 loaded like Lake City ammo for good prices lately. Federal runs the Lake City plant for the government.

Many of the manufac. offer stripped down starter versions. No crome barrell, no bolt assist, sight ready (which means no sights). OK if you are an occassional user, but over the long term, you probably won't be happy with it.

The AR15 forum web site has a lot of good advice on the various brands and configurations.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
The Man

I have owned a lot of ARs over the years and <u>at this time </u>I think the best off the shelf value is the S&W MP-15.

As appst2 said look at AR-15.com but then you will really be confused. Good site but a lot of different opinions. There are a lot of prejudices on that site. BTW don't say anything bad about a Colt over there.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
The Man

What are your opinions on guns from Rock River Arms?

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
The Man

DPMS sweet sixteen with the bull barrel is an absolute tack driver. But its also a boat anchor, pretty heavy. But if other DPMS have that accuracy they might be something to consider.

NRA Patron Life Member
RMEF Member
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
What are your opinions on guns from Rock River Arms?
I have heard great things about these.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page