mossberg rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

mossberg rifles

anybody have any experience with the model 100 atr ?? thinkin about one in 243 for yotes, groundhogs etc. what kind of groups can be expected ?? thanks, randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: mossberg rifles

I use to have a 100 ATR in .308. I needed cash at the time so I sold it but it's a decent, inexpensive, no frills gun. It was "hunting accurate", ie. 2" groups with a cheap Tasco scope. The only thing to watch out for is the integral mounts need high rings so the bolt won't hit the scope when you cycle the action. Overall it's not a bad gun.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

When the ATR first came out, Guns and Ammo ran a comparison between the ATR and Stevens 200, and gave the Stevens higher marks. They stated the 200 had a better Barrel and smoother action.
At that time both had the standard trigger, now Mossberg has their Lightning trigger, Savage you would need to go to a higher priced gun to get the Accu-Trigger.
But totally unrelated, I have read some very good things about the Marlin XL rifles with their adjustable trigger. For about the same money as the ATR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the only reason i went marlin over mossberg for my first rifle was due to the rumors of premature bolt failure on the mossberg rifles. true or not, i can see how it might happen with the mossberg and chose to go with the marlin instead, especially given the fanfare it's gotten over the past 2 yrs now. i love my marlin. i am no longer substantiating the mossberg reported accusations, do your own research to that end...but I will say that the Marlin is the best 300 bucks i've spent on any rifle.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Sage

Buy the Stevens, low end Savage, or Marlin, if you want an inexpensive bolt gun that will serve your needs.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My buddy bought a new savage edge with a bushnell on it for $299. Like the way it felt and shouldered over the mossy. Just my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page