Which of these is better - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Which of these is better

Which of these two reloading kits is better and why?

1. RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit
or
2. Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic™ Reloading Kit

They can both be seen here with everything that they come with. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/compare_i...roductId=740228

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Which of these is better

Both are top quality, but I would buy RCBS because of their warranty. Several times over the years I have needed parts, weather from honest wear or my own mistakes.Each and every time I ordered the parts and TRIED to pay for them, they were shipped to my door at no charge! I also have a good friend whose entire setup was ruined in the flood of Jan. 1996. His entire basement had 6 feet of water, and his loading room was swamped. He contacted RCBS because he had some rare dies to see if he could order them, and they replaced EVERYTHING at no charge! Buy RCBS.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Both are excellent, you will find there are much cheaper ways to get started.
I would go with a quality press, it will last you a lifetime. But until you find how far you want to get into reloading, you could supplement the kit items with Lee items.
I know I am opening myself up for a firefight, but I am not a fan of Lee equipment, several guys are.
But the simple truth is Lee is able to keep cost down by sacrificing quality.
Other than their scales, which I believe is pure junk; most of their equipment will get the job done with some inconvenience.
Before buying anything from Cabelas, I would check Midsouthshooters.com or even Mid-Way . As well as others most have better prices.
Most reloading equipment can be picked up used very cheap. And the old presses were built to last. If not abused most are as strong as they were 40 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Don't the Hornady presses require that you use Lock-N-Load dies or other standard dies in a Lock-N-Load bushing?

That's always been my understanding. For that reason I avoid the Hornday stuff....not a quality issue, just more or different stuff to buy.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I've had two issues with RCBS dies that they fixed for me free. In one, I bent the decap pin on a rifle die and they sent me a packet of three of them, I guess just in case I made another ID 10 T error.
The second one I had a case stuck and when I removed it I gouged a line into the wall of the die and it scratched any brass I resized with it. They sent me a new one free.
A company like that has my loyalty. I have been using my RCBS Partner press since the late 1980s or early 1990s, can't remember which.
If I were starting out reloading today, I would buy the same outfit. The rockchucker is supposed to be higher quality, but how high quality do you need?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Both are top quality, but I would buy RCBS because of their warranty. Several times over the years I have needed parts, weather from honest wear or my own mistakes.
I have to agree. RCBS is one of the few companies that will replace a part even if you told them you whacked it with a hammer!

Years ago when I started turning brass in my lathe I needed press ram for the tailstock. On a hunch I called them to see what one would cost. After explaining what I was doing and giving them my address three days later a ram showed up, no charge.

Can't beat that!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM

I am an RCBS guy also.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Both are fantastic kits for reloading. Whether you are a beginner or an expert. Don't buy cheaper junk, you will just replace it down the road.

I would lean to the RCBS. But both would serve you very well. However did you know that RCBS has a rebate going on?? Tom.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

IF you load many calibers the L-N-L system is a wonderful time saver. buy enough bushings for each die used and it takes under 5 seconds to change a die and no re-adjusting. i converted my rockchucker to the hornady set-up. sure some extra money is spent, but what is your time worth? really great when loading short production runs.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM

If you get a Hornady kit they will send you 500 bullets that's about a $75-100 discount on the price! At least they did last year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page