Looking for a firearms restorer or gunsmith in PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a firearms restorer or gunsmith in PA

The posts that 410'er is posting with all his blackpowder guns got me interested. I'm not certain that I would want to buy one just yet. But it got me on a train of thought that I can't seem to get off.

My dad still has my great granddad's Remington 1889 double. Hey, I could get this operational. Yes, it is likely a Damascus barrel and can only shoot BP. Yes, it probably can only shoot 2.5" shells. I'll get me some brass cases and load them with BP. The trouble I see is the way it was taken care of.

The family lore is that as he was getting older rather than cleaning the gun all the time granddad thought it was a good idea to varnish it. And I mean the whole thing. Wood, metal, anything that might rust. The hammers are so "goo'd" up they barely pull back or contact the firing pins. It still breaks open, after some serious grunting. The bores as I recall are in good shape, but it has been 10-15 years since I even picked it up. I'd have to go over it once more to verify the exact condition.

So going down this road I'm thinking about consulting a competent smith or restorer about taking it apart and "cleaning" the varnish from all the metal parts. I don't want it to showroom condition, just functional. I just can't find any listed anywhere and the guys in my area don't work on shotguns. Can anyone help me out with some names?

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Don't touch it..worth more the old way !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

It's worth almost nothing now, it's covered in 100yo varnish and assorted crud. We had it appraised the last time I handled it, they wouldn't even give us a number of what it was worth. I figure <$100 as a wall ornament.

It's getting cleaned up, end of story. I just need the name of someone that would work on it.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:52 PM
The Man

I have 2 breech loading hammer guns that I still use.The shells I use I bought about 10-15 yrs ago.Think they are 1 5/8" minishells #7 1/2 made by Aguila.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/#minishell

Never tried them on Pheasants but works great on rabbits!
1 5/8" on left
2 3/4" middle
3" right
DSCF1525 by t410er, on Flickr

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Last edited by 410-er; 11-05-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think I would shoot for a DIY project. Research some strippers (HEY stop that) and you will probably find one that wont touch the metal. Get the garbage off, and sand the stock with 600 grit. If the stain is gone, and you want it stained, then stain it and finish it with oil, My reference is Tung oil, Ref the stock refinish thread. https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/30-f...finishing.html

Like you said, it really isnt worth anything now. Some time into a good winter project and elbow grease will make it yours with a good history.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page