anyone have a 257 wby mag ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

anyone have a 257 wby mag ?

about time to get another gun...anyone have a 257 wby mag?..how do you like it?..does the vanguards 24" barrel cut back on it's velocity ? i was told it doesn't make much difference, and some loads it's faster than the markV ..??opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM
The Man

Re: anyone have a 257 wby mag ?

I have one but cant comment on whby. barrels. Mine is on a hart ss barrel. You have to chronograph them to really find out i never trust advertisement velocity. If your comparing 24" to 26" most likely there will be a difference. yes i am a 25 fan owning quite a few 25'5 including my own version wildcat a 25 Bobcat. I took a 270 wsm necked to 25. I can get 257 whby. velocity from it gaining the advantage of using a short action. 25's are an excellant choice for pa. whitetail.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have one. Its a custom built on a Remington 700 action with a Shilen SS barrel. When first built it had a 26" barrel. I didnt like it with the long barrel so I took the gun and a hacksaw to the range and started shortning it 1" at a time. I would have to look back in my reloading records, but I think I lost around 100 FPS by taking it down to 23".

That said, Just because I had these results doesnt mean you will too. There are just to many variables. When I cut my barrel everything else was equal; load/temp ect.

Right now with a 23" barrel I am getting 3565 FPS with 100 gr. Barnes TSX. I have shot a few deer with this bullet with no problems. I have also shot 100gr. Ballistic Tips, 100 gr. Barnes X-bullet (original version), 115 gr. Patitions out of this gun.

I am going to try the new 80 gr. Barnes TTSX next. This bullet should hit 3900+ FPS. If it is accurate I will try it on deer next season.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 PM
The Man

you was kidding about the hacksaw right?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

i actually have a 25-06 GREAT ROUND!! it's one of my favorite rifles..other favorite is my 300 win...but i have alway's thought i'd like a 257 wby..big brother to the 25-06 i guess..but i probably wouldn't bother with the 257 wby in the vanguard if the 24" barrel only produced 25-06 velocity wouldn't be any point.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 AM
The Man

Last year somebody put one up for sale on here...A plain Vanguard in 257 WBY., and after about a week I bought it.....Holy crap!....Does that thing shoot!...I made up a quick handload for it with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips, and it shot them right into a .75" group....Tried the same load again...Same results. So as you can probably guess, I like the rifle.The only negative to this rifle is the initial cost of brass, it's beyond ridiculous.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 AM
The Man

The whby vs. 06 barrel length for barrel length is going to do better. I shot as high as 73 grains of imr 7828 out of my whby. thats not going to happen out of 25-06. but to compare any of them you have to chrono. each one to know for sure.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
The Man

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
you was kidding about the hacksaw right?
Nope.

The 26" barrel was to long for me. So I took it to the range and took off 1" at a time. I cleaned up the crown and shot it to see what the velocity was. I didnt want to loose to much velocity that's why I did 1" at a time. When I had 3" off I was at a point that I didnt want to loose any more velocity. Took it to the gunsmith to be recround.

Good luck, Tony
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 AM
The Man

Wow, that took nerve never heard of taking hacksaw to one, yea the crown would of been my next question but you took care of that. I would say ive been to 3 state fairs and paid 5 bucks to see a duck fart underwater but i never seen anyone take a hacksaw to a fine barrel like you have. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page