TWIST ! WHO DECIDES? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

TWIST ! WHO DECIDES?

You ever wonder who decides what twist rate a rifle should have and why ?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: TWIST ! WHO DECIDES?

Nope.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM

There is a mathematical formula used to determine optimal rate of twist for a given bullet. I forget what it is, but is uses diameter, velocity, and length of bullet.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life (Certified RSO,) NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Greenhill Formula.

WILLY P
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Faster is better with quality bullets. Bullets weren't as concentric years ago when we saw a lot of 1:14" twists in varmint rifles. Those slow twists better stabilized bullets that weren't perfectly balanced but the didn't really stabilize heavy bullets. Your light bullets will still shoot well out of let's say a 1-9" twist as long as the bullets are quality, and it's what is needed for the heavy bullets. Slow twist killed the .244 right out of the gate but fast twist made the .243.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep
Slow twist killed the .244 right out of the gate but fast twist made the .243.
Not sure if that should be blamed on the twist or the brain trust at Remington not knowing how to deal with another winner.
I guess it goes back to the original question.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Twist rate is an optimal number based on the length of the given bullet and projected velocity. If the twist rate is too fast, the bullet will literarily blow up. Usually within a 100 yards. If the twist rate is too slow the bullet will begin to tumble though the air, although this is more uncommon and is generally only seen at extreme distance. You can see it on paper where the bullet doesn't cut the paper in a nice circle, it will create an oblong hole. Most bullet Manufactures publish the optimal twist rate for their bullets.

The published data isn't the gospel, for instance Berger recommends a 10 twist for their 210VLD, I know a lot of guys using an 11 Twist for that particular bullet.

A Remington 243 comes with a 9.125" Twist. That is a real general twist for a variety of bullets, it covers everything from the 107 grain bullets to the 70 grain bullets. But optimal for a 107 grain Target bullet (Longer than Hunting Bullets) would be an 8 twist. Which too is subjective. Some guys like 7.75" twist for longer bullets. Some guys will use a gain twist barrel, starting at the breech with 8.8" and getting faster towards the muzzle 7.5". Sierra actually recommends a 7twist for their 107SMK. Which by the way no one I shoot with uses a twist that fast.

Bullets tumbling or exploding will not be witnessed by the general hunting crowd. But under match conditions where guys are trying to push the accuracy envelope you occasionally see it happen. Most of the time when a guy is experimenting with different bullets vs twist rates. Say a 210VLD in a 14 twist, pushing high velocity, for sure you'll see a little black cloud of lead about 80 yards out. You probably wouldn't see it happen with the same situation under a reduced load. As you might see it tumble with the same bullet in an 8 twist barrel shooting 2000fps
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Gunner, do you remember my Buddy Ken exploding those Bib's out of his .243 AI, it's pretty cool to see and you can see it, it looks like a flash of oil on water for a milli-second, really bright colors, about the size of a basketball.. I'm assuming are lead/copper going from solid/gas/plasma states..something everyone should whitness at least once..not sure you could even video it with a digital camera, you'd have to have a high speed one to see it..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:02 PM
The Man

Load some Speer 110 grain round nose in a .300 Win or Wby if you wanna see it. Not even a fragment makes it to the 100 yard backstop.......

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I remember dasher, it's really cool to see! Your right strut, nothing ever touches the target.

I've seen bullets exploding way more times than tumbling, I might have seen them tumble only 1 or 2 times

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page