Newtons Third Law - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Newtons Third Law

If "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" is true then it must also be true that the force generated by a 12 ga. shotgun to the front must be equal to the force generated to the rear. Soooo I'm thinking, if I wore a bullet proof vest (to prevent penetration), and was shot in the chest at point blank range, the felt impact should amount to be the equivalent of taking a sucker punch from your sister! I just don't see how 1 1/4 oz. of #6 shot can generate enough momentum to knock me over. Am I right or do I need an immediate intervention?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Newtons Third Law

You have to take into account Newtons 1st and 2nd also.

1st- A body in motion, stays in motion, until or unless acted on by an outside force.

2nd.- The acceleration of an object as produced by a net force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the net force, in the same direction as the net force, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

The energy to the rear (reaction) is spread over the square inches of the butt of the gun, and takes into account the weight of the gun. Lighter gun, more kick, heavier gun, less kick. Whereas the energy forward (action) is divided among the pellets, in free space. No external weight but the pellets to decrease the energy. Only gravity and drag.

Without the weight of the gun on the forward energy of the pellets, they will be much more than the kick of the gun.

And all that energy is concentrated among the pellets. So I would guess it will have a whole lot more force than the shotgun kicks on the trigger pull.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Then you have Darwin's theory of natural selection, just saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr

X2 - leave us not have any experiments on this one.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Look up 2nd chance body armor on youtube. The owner stands on one foot while he is shot in the chest by a .308 win at literally point blank range. He doesn't even have to stick his raised foot down to keep his balance. It barely budged him. You would not be knocked over.
Search for the Mythbusters episode where they shoot Buster (man sized test dummy) with a 50BMG. they use a sliding scale to measure his movement after impact (they used a ballistic steel plate to make sure no energy was lost through penetration). If I remember right, it budged him 2" and that was with over 12,000 ft lbs.

Episodes 25 and 38 deal with the bullet energy and throwing people backwards.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 AM

Intervention or one of your relatives can let us know how that idea worked out.I have a 10 gauge if you want to go all out on your test.Lol.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for backing me up MFUFF. Any Physicists out there that can back me up before I do something "unencumbered by the thought process."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shoot a 5gal bucket full of sand and record the reaction. It will absorb every ounce of energy of whatever you shoot it with and it will weigh 1/3 of an average guy.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page