Why not a .29 caliber cartridge? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Why not a .29 caliber cartridge?

Why was this caliber skipped over? I don't buy the reason that it is too close to the 28 and 30. If that were the case we wouldn't have a 26 caliber. Do we need one? No not really but that can be said for half a dozen other calibers as well. ( I know there were some attempts made but never caught on). Just wonderin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Re: Why not a .29 caliber cartridge?

Yes, good question. I once saw a list of what was supposed to be the daddy rabbit of all rifle calibers that had been produced commercially and it was extremely long. If you do a search of Varmint Al's site you might get a reply to your question.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:01 PM

The 7.35 Carcano actually is .29 caliber. But there's no real niche to fill there. As you said, we already have a lot of redundancy. 6.5mm and 7mm have been around longer than .27 caliber. If they would've came out with the 6.5-06 in 1925 I wonder if .277 diameter ever would've been developed? A lot of this is just redundancy and fills no real gap.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:08 PM
The Man

If some company thought they could sell a bunch of rifles and ammo and take your money there would a 29 caliber gun.

We have many efficient rounds. Nowadays its all about money.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:15 PM
The Man

I've seen many people call the .338 Federal - "The answer to the question that nobody asked."

A .29 would be the same thing. There are already a dizzying array of cartridges to choose from. The vast majority of these new ones are just flashes in the pan that don't last very long.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 PM

Face it, very little market in hunting rifles today ! Since we have very negative growth in the numbers of hunters you can see why that is in our state, when was the last time you bought a hunting rifle, once you find what you like your not likely changing for long long time, myself 20+ years for a big game rifle...people 50+ plus I'll bet it's down to very low percentages, tons of hand me down rifles from dads to sons, mine just took about a dozen model 700's from the gun cabinet.. I spend some time each week and to be honest at the biggest gun shop around and see very little hunting rifles moving...other than the noise makers .223's there's little going out the door...Another big game cartridges/caliber would be a complete failure at this time..
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I am surprised the 1000 yard bench rest guys didn't experiment with it. You know how they like to look for an edge. (aka 6mm ppc).
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 PM

At least half of the diameters we have now are unnecessary. Just different flavors for those who want more than vanilla and chocolate. I'm glad .23 and .29 have been ignored.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM

Me too,I have enough to load for and feed now.Like children they are always hungry.Lol.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 PM

Your seeing tons of cartridges now being weeded out, most were introduced over the last 20 years and are now doomed..if you got one you love you'd better have been stocking up on casings...you might be late already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page