IS 100 TO 150 FPS WORTH IT ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

IS 100 TO 150 FPS WORTH IT ?

To take a load to maximum load in a manual is it worth it ?
I have done it in steps with some of my rifles and have seen very little advantage in it ! The brass,which has become tough to get lately,takes a beaten and the groups seem to be opened up or wild?
New brass i have used,first time loaded stuff,has split at the necks or the shoulders! Some times it was tough to get the empty from the chamber! If it didn't split it was hard to re-size and still would not chamber in the rifle it was fired from. By the way my guns are not old clunkers . They are fairly new and bought new by myself.
Long range shooters i can see doing it but their rifles are built for this style of shooting.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Re: IS 100 TO 150 FPS WORTH IT ?

No, I hardly think any animals heart/lungs will notice the difference. Running 5-10% under max will save your brass without question, much longer in some cases. The less they move the longer they last, especially with first time big stretches. I never try to achieve the how much will it take until the bolt gets sticky, makes no sense to me to even want to. I have brass still in use for 40+ years and rarely ever see a neck crack or split.by neck sizing, about half in your varmint/target rifles you'll really see longevity in your cases, the only casings I full length are my big game hunting casings and then I don't max shoot them anyway. As far as accuracy,in the hunting world one inch rifles and to be honest even two inch will do the trick, your rarely shooting past 100 yards and usually much less and your shooting at a basketball sized kill area which easily should be hit. Match rifles are a different animal and chances are if your competitive match shooting your already aware of what it takes in machinery, skills and differences in reloading techniques needed to be competitive. So, the original answer to your question is..NO, no reason to even think it ever would in practical shooting distances in the hunting world. The deer/bear heart will be destroyed whether hit in the auricles or ventricles. So, don't get excited in thinking your inch and a half rifle won't get it done, it will be fine...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Is it worth it? It is if it improves accuracy. Some "hot" loads will perform better in some guns. It just depends on what your setup likes

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Some guns like 'em hot but most like them backed off a couple grains. The difference would be hard to notice in hunting situations.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Only if there's a substantial accuracy difference.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have never bought into the speed demon bug. I ladder test all of my loads for each gun. I am looking for accuracy. If I can get improved accuracy + or - a few hundred fps. I go for accuracy. I look at the 280 vs the 280AI. For me. I choose the 280. Because if the accuracy node for that rifle is in the lower velocity range, then I spend money on an AI when I just could have bought a 280. The 280AI gaining 100 to 150 fps is not worth it at all, to me because If the accuracy node in not in the higher velocity range, then it's a waste. If it's high, I have a slightly harder hitting rifle. On the flip side, with my cooper 220 swift. I run 40 grain varmageddons. It was ok with everything except max loads at top speed well over 4k fps. Once I reached max load of IMR 3031, I was over 4100fps and I shot one hole, three shot groups at 100 yards. Each rifle is different.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
In a nutshell. Yep

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
Exactly.

Accuracy is the only reason I load to book max. Even then, I use the Leuopold VX-3 with the Boone and Crockett reticle in many of my scopes, so I'm far more concerned with getting accuracy at Leupold's prescribed velocity required for a given bullet weight to make the reticle's drop compensation stadia lines work. It's absolutely worth that minor trouble to get exact holdover solutions for the longer range shots possible out West.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I let the gun dictate the load, but always lean towards the hotter load.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will not push for a extra 100fps at the expense of brass life. But I will not purposely down load if my gun/brass can handle it.

Just because a manual says a load is max does not mean its your max. Your guns max could be lower or higher then the max load in a manual. Like grovey wrote "let the gun dictate the load".

A split neck and/or shoulder is not necessarily a indication of a max load. IMO its a indication of hard brass, over sizing when reloading, a sloppy chamber, ect.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page