YOUR SCOPES / HOW ACCURATE ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

YOUR SCOPES / HOW ACCURATE ?

You ever wonder just how often your scope can repeat POA ?
As i always do i am not talking about you guys with $1000 scopes. Most of us can't go buy things like that! I am saying like a Tasco on up to a $300 say Weaver.
I buy 3 to 9 power scopes because of the prices but only ever use 4 or 6 power with them? [Mostly 4 power].
OK! Have you ever tried shooting you gun in at 9 power and then going down to 4 and it seems to have shifted the POA ?
From what i have researched when you shift the power setting on a scope, that we can afford, the insides shift also[not always though.] ? They are not made as precise as the $1000 ones! [DUH.]
IMHO unless it is like 1 or 2 inches at 100 yards i bare with it? I sight in at say 4 x and that's where it stays for hunting and does just fine.Most of the time i can get them to 1 or 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards and they will hold there!
Besides not being wealthy,my grandchildren and in laws think i have an armory and use my guns!
I have a few scopes that are dented and bent from over the years from them!
But if you have nothing to do some day play with your scope and see how well it will hold at different powers?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Banned

Re: YOUR SCOPES / HOW ACCURATE ?

If it's a quality modern scope, what power it's on should not make one bit of difference. If it does then it's a piece of junk. Quality scopes don't have to cost a fortune anymore. You can get a Leupold VX-1 3-9x for less than $200 on sale.

I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but every "deer rifle" I have has a 2-7x leupold either a VX-I or II on it. I don't need the extra power of a bigger scope and I don't want the extra size and weight of it either. If you don't need it either, I don't know why you would want it. Smaller scopes allow you to use lower mounts which leads to a more comfortable head position when shooting as well.

Tasco is a brand that I stay away from. They are cheap for a reason.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Most of my rifles have Leupold Vari-X III scopes. Point of impact stays the same for me. But, I firmly believe the mounts and rings are the most important variable in the whole equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

If you are using a leupold, then you might as well get the Leupold STD rings and bases. I have never, ever had a scope come out of zero with those rings and bases.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't remember what kind of rings I have as they've been on the rifles for years. I believe they are Leupold. Mine are 3-9 power and I always hunt on 5X. I may lower it to 3 or 4 if I'm in heavy cover, but 5X seems to be a good, all-around power. I turn it up to 9 when shooting targets at 100 yards.

My dad's 7mm Rem Mag has a Zeiss that is a straight 6X. That seems to work well at any range.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Waterfowler
If it's a quality modern scope, what power it's on should not make one bit of difference. If it does then it's a piece of junk. Quality scopes don't have to cost a fortune anymore. You can get a Leupold VX-1 3-9x for less than $200 on sale.

I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but every "deer rifle" I have has a 2-7x leupold either a VX-I or II on it. I don't need the extra power of a bigger scope and I don't want the extra size and weight of it either. If you don't need it either, I don't know why you would want it. Smaller scopes allow you to use lower mounts which leads to a more comfortable head position when shooting as well.

+1 Excellent post.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Waterfowler

+1 Excellent post.
Agreed. I have all Leupolds and one Nikon, all with Leupold or Redfield bases and rings and I've never paid anywhere close to $300 for the whole shootin' match.

If any of my scopes had a different POI at different powers it would be down over the side of the mountain.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:45 PM

The vari - x-1 is $149.00...these days, no excuse anymore...own at least 10 of the with no use !!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:45 PM

I have Nikon prostaffs on a couple of my rifles and I haven't had any POI issues. I use weaver quadlock rings. Whole package under $200.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Part of the Community

What the OP is talking about is called Parallax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

The most important thing you need to know is that Tasco is owned by Bushnell, which is owned by Bausch and Lomb..

There is only a couple of machines that makes the optics for all of the rifle scopes made in the world.

The difference today between a relatively inexpensive scope and a professional quality scope is the quality of the optics, the quality of the adjustment and the coatings applied to the lens.

The Tasco has a reputation of being a very inexpensive rifle scope that has poor quality and shoddy workmanship.
In fact, most of the Tasco Rifle Scopes I have used, failed to pass a simple warm water immersion test.

Basically if you wanted a new scope, all you had to do was remove the turret covers, immerse the scope in warm water for 5 minutes, watch the air bubbles in the tub of water. The warm water would be drawn into the workings of the scope, Destroying the scope. Usually the lens would fog and the manufacturer would replace the scope, as per their warranty.

What happened was that Tasco went out of business and Bushnell had no competition, no competition equaled a loss of sales. So they bought the company, design, name, and started producing a better quality scope with the Tasco brand.

The Leupold Rifle scope, not pronounced LeoPold, but LOO Pold, is of a high quality then the cheaper brands.
Although the Rifleman - $200 scope that Pa Waterfowler mentioned does not fit into this category. As a matter of fact, Leupold doesn't even make that rifle scope, and over the years, counterfeit Leupold rifle scopes has been sold, which the manufacturer will not honor it's warranty.

Leupold entered the Rifle Scope market in 1907 at Leupold, Volelpel, adding Stevens in 1914 in Portland, Oregon.

After World War II - Leupold began to produce commercial rifle scopes. Most of their target rifle scopes were produced with a fixed power. The less moving parts, the less there was to go wrong with the scope, and it eliminated Parallax.

Another company called Redfield, was also in the rifle scope manufacturing business, based in Beaverton Oregon..
Their claim to fame was in producing a high quality rifle scope with a T.V. - Wide Field View.
These scopes were used in early production sniper rifles used in the Vietnam War. When the soldiers came home, they demanded this very same rifle scope for their hunting rifles. Sometimes doubling the cost of the hunting rifle!

Note - I said HUNTING.
Deer Hunters doesn't really need a scope that can shoot 1000 yards, or kill paper targets. The Redfield Widefield allowed the average hunter the ability to shoot in difficult situations, which the cheaper Weaver fixed power rifle scopes were not suitable for, such as low light conditions, rain, fog, etc..

Same story as Tasco, when Redfield went out of business in 2008, Leupold bought the name and the company.
https://www.redfield.com/redfield-story/

Basically you get what you paid for, if you buy a cheap scope - you can't expect durability or accuracy.

Today there is only a hand full of company's in The USA that still makes their own rifle scopes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page