Scope Rings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Scope Rings

Having trouble keeping my scope from moving in the rings. Shooting a 338 win mag with Leupold mounts and rings. How many of you use thread lock on the screws ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Re: Scope Rings

I do on a .338. I also clamp down on that scope. You aren't supposed too on account of torqueing the scope but the .338 will move it otherwise!

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Part of the Community

have used the blue threadlock(med strength) on 300 winnies & other recoilers. Use on bases & rings.Does a good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM

+1 locktite, I've always seen it as a must for magnums. I've used clear nail polish with similar results.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

You can start to compress a scope tube by over-torquing and that will compromise either the tracking or ability to hold zero.

If it's moving, my money would be on the rings needing to be lapped. That improves the surface area of the rings in contact with the tube, which will do far more for you than cranking down the screws on the rings or putting thread-lock on them.

The only way locking the screws will help is if the screws are backing out/losing torque/coming loose under recoil. I would bet they aren't unless you've got like 5-10 inch-lbs on them, which is VERY little torque.

I would bet you a dollar that locking those screws and cranking the snot out of them isn't your fix. I'd be lapping those rings and getting as close to full contact as possible, and then trying again. And I'd bet at that point, your problem is solved. Out of the box, rings often don't have nearly as much surface contact as one would think.

My 300H&H is not heavy and is shooting 180's fairly fast. It kicks like a ticked off mule (especially since it's an old Winchester with a steel buttplate...yikes!), no scope movement. No loctite.

35 Whelen shooting 250's at 2500+. No movement. No Loctite.

300WSM, light rifle. No loctite. No movement.

264WM, 140's at ludicrous speed, bordering on "going plad" (see if anyone gets the movie reference, lol)....no loctite, no movement.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
You can start to compress a scope tube by over-torquing and that will compromise either the tracking or ability to hold zero.

If it's moving, my money would be on the rings needing to be lapped. That improves the surface area of the rings in contact with the tube, which will do far more for you than cranking down the screws on the rings or putting thread-lock on them.

The only way locking the screws will help is if the screws are backing out/losing torque/coming loose under recoil. I would bet they aren't unless you've got like 5-10 inch-lbs on them, which is VERY little torque.

I would bet you a dollar that locking those screws and cranking the snot out of them isn't your fix. I'd be lapping those rings and getting as close to full contact as possible, and then trying again. And I'd bet at that point, your problem is solved. Out of the box, rings often don't have nearly as much surface contact as one would think.

My 300H&H is not heavy and is shooting 180's fairly fast. It kicks like a ticked off mule (especially since it's an old Winchester with a steel buttplate...yikes!), no scope movement. No loctite.

35 Whelen shooting 250's at 2500+. No movement. No Loctite.

300WSM, light rifle. No loctite. No movement.

264WM, 140's at ludicrous speed, bordering on "going plad" (see if anyone gets the movie reference, lol)....no loctite, no movement.
Sir weve never been to ludicrous speed!! Haha great movie, i dont use locktite either, lap and torque per what the ring manufacturer recommends
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Burris XTR rings or XTR signature rings, problem solved. No locktite needed. I also have a set of signature z rings on a 300 RUM improved and have no trouble
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:37 PM

Try "Lapping" the scope rings,ask a gunsmith to do it or do it yourself. If you check out YouTube,you can see how to do it. Guaranteed that will fix the problem...

Hunt Safe
Jack
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:04 AM

I once bent a scope tube by over torqueing on it.

benchrest
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:11 AM

You just wouldn't believe how out of round and misaligned scope rings are until you lap one in ? It takes very little to damage a scope with creases in the tube.

WILLY P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page