Question on selling long gun. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Question on selling long gun.

What are the laws/ rules for selling a long gun to an individual. A friend wants to buy a gun from me that I just picked up at auction. When I buy a gun there is a background check. I don't know if this is just a check to buy a gun or if it registers the gun to an individual.
Will a gun shop do the transfer if it is not purchased at the shop? Is there another way.

I picked up the rifle because it was a good price but already have one and have no need to have an extra of the same gun.
Is there a problem because I bought it and going to sell it in a short period of time. If we do the paper work will this be ok or will it fall under the straw purchase because it seems I picked it up for another person.
I am researching in other places just would like to get some input and maybe pointed in the right direction to look this stuff up. Thanks in advance. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question on selling long gun.

If hes a pa resident you dont need to go to a gun store or anything like that. When i sell a rifle I usually do a bill of sale with bother persons dl number and address, so if something happens im covered. Also rifles and shotguns aren't registered to a person only handguns, has always been my understanding.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM

unless you are in the business of selling, there should be no problem. However, if investigated, a BATF agent would make lots of mileage on why buy a gun if you already have one, UNLESS you intended to peddle it off or it was a straw purchase. Even though there is no requirement to go through a dealer, you may want to consider that. Solves the straw purchase potential and keeps you out of trouble if the buyer turns out to have a problem having a gun. Just talked with a guy this week who pled guilty to stalking and of course he says his lawyer never told him that such a conviction would prevent him from possessing firearms.

Don't know how well you know the buyer. Could he have been committed without your knowledge? Might he have a domestic assault conviction lurking in his past? You could be drawn in if you do not at least run a check on him yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM

You can sell it to him without any paperwork or background checks. At least until January 20th when Hillary takes office.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've sold several long guns over the past couple of years. I also do a bill of sale. Years back it was just a written scrap of paper now I use one that I found on-line and printed. It has questions similar to the old yellow form we used to fill out. Buyer signs that he's good plus D/L number, address and phone. He gets one copy - I keep one copy.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Waugh!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.
I was thinking along the same lines. I was thinking I missed some new registration law where the serial number was in my name until reassigned.

Would it have been a straw purchase if I did buy one at auction for someone? I have picked up things I knew people were looking for at sales, just never a gun. If I had only bought this gun and marked the paperwork to say yes when asked if it was purchased for someone else would this been ok?
I don't know his legal background. I am going to a dealer just to do it because I had to do it and he should have no problems. He has guns and some new ones he just purchased from a dealer. I seen some of the paperwork in his case when we went to the range a few weeks ago to shoot his new pistol.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Thanks to all. Waugh!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Yes. Buying a gun for someone else unless it is a family member is a straw purchase.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

As long as he is not prohibited from owning a firearm and is a PA resident, a background check is not needed. As you know, you can though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76er
As long as he is not prohibited from owning a firearm and is a PA resident, a background check is not needed. As you know, you can though.

True; as long as both buyer and seller reside in the same state and the transfer is for a long gun (not pistol).

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page