Is the 7mm Remington magnum over? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Is the 7mm Remington magnum over?

Been in a few shops including Shyda's in Lebanon that have told me they don't stock new rifles in the Big 7 because it doesn't sell anymore. Seems folks have realized the .300 Win Mag is all that and more. We've also seen the more recent 7mm mags fall flat on their face. It was once a sensation but not any longer apparently. The .300 Win always did bring more to the table IMHO.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 PM
The Man

Re: Is the 7mm Remington magnum over?

Not to me. Just bought one last year and love it! It has a BOSS, and the recoil is pleasant. Very accurate too. Will be my "go to" rifle when hunting areas where longer shots are a possibility.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Part of the Community

I see what you're saying, but no, it will never be over. The 7mm Rem and .300 Win are two of the most popular magnums in the world in terms of sales for ammo and rifles. I do not own a 7mm, but have used the cartridge for a few deer because 2 of my family members and 2 of my friends use them. I'm a .300 Win Mag owner though and I agree that the big .30 is a clear winner in the big game arena. However, the reason the 7mm shines with a lot of people is because of recoil only slightly above the .30-06 with flatter trajectory and a bit more energy. I'm not a huge fan of the 7mm myself, but it does most things pretty well and is ALMOST as versatile as a .30 cal magnum. As for seeing them in the PA woods, there are quite a few I'd say, but I'd rather have my .30-06 in hand because you gain absolutely nothing over the .30-06 with a 7mm at woods ranges. Actually, you could say there's no real helpful difference between the two inside of 250 yards. And as much as I like my .300, you certainly don't need that in the woods either. From what I've seen in a few instances, and this isn't meant to bash the 7mm, but it seems to have a tendency to destroy a lot of tissue and the deer stays on its feet.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:25 PM
The Man

Wouldn't surprise me a bit that after 54 years the 7 Rem is losing its appeal to gun buyers. I was never a fan. Couldn't see why a guy wouldn't just buy an '06 if that's the level of performance he was looking for. If a guy wants a Magnum and is going to make that much noise and burn extra powder .....he may as well buy one of the .300's and have something.

But the 7 Rem is in no way over. Just like the .300 Savage......there are so many of them out there that they'll still be common 50 years from now.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They might not be selling many new rifles in 7mm Mag but there are plenty of them out there.
The 7mmMag with factory ammo isn't a big gain over the 30'06 but with handloads it shines.
I have never had a whitetail that was not impressed when hit with a 139gr Hornady SP at 3200fps.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I meant is it over as far as new rifle sales? There is a ton of them out there and they'll always be around. But then the 7mm STW, RUM, WSM, and SAUM have all been resounding flops. And the 7mm Weatherby never made much of a dent either. I don't predict much from the .28 Nosler either.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 06:39 PM
The Man

The only way it might be "over" is that so many people already have them. Mine is the most accurate rifle that I own and I have harvested a lot of pretty large game with it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

A lot of people already have .243's, .270's, 30-06's, and .300 Win Mags too but they remain top sellers.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM
The Man

So because a few shops you've been to say they're not selling them as much anymore means it's over? Okay.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
So because a few shops you've been to say they're not selling them as much anymore means it's over? Okay.
What's your research showing you? Feel free to include sales statistics because I'd love to see some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page