loading for 223 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

loading for 223

I shoot a Remington model seven 223 22" barrel for coyotes both calling at night and running the hounds in the day. A long shot the way we hunt would be 150-200 yards. I have been shooting cheap remington 45 grain hollow points you get at wal- mart but am finally going to load for it, don't like those hollow points, they explode on inpact blowing big holes instead of penetrating. I am looking at Nosler ballistic tip varmit bullets or Hornady in a 50 or 55 grain. I use 70 grain Noslers in my Model Seven 243 18" barrel and have shot both coyotes and deer with them and they did good, mushroomed real nice. Not really worried about hide damage since they arent worth much, I just tan them and hang them myself. Any input on either of these choices? Thanks! Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: loading for 223

Hornady makes alot of good bullets. Favorite bullet maker actually.
I handload the 55's for my nef 223.
Mostly a g'hog gun so maybe a comparsion agaisnt a coyote isn't fair.
But they shoot real well and smoke the g'hog obviously.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 AM

I have been workin with the Barnes 45gr Triple shock seated .050 off the lands. very accurate bullet, so far so good, they are accurate as all heck, drop deer in thier tracks and expand enough to deliver some good shocking power w/o destroying hides. the only thing is that I am loading them in my 22-250 and they are expensive but how many shots do you take at coyotes per year, if more than 50 maybe this isnt the bullet for you but I do not shoot that much at coyotes so that itself outweighs the cost.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 AM

I load 55grn Noslers with 25 grains of H335 and shoot 3/8"-1/2" groups at 100 yards

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Out of the .223 for groundhogs I've used-

50gr Nosler BT's=Good controlled expansion for their weight.
50gr Hornady V-Max=More/faster expansion than the Noslers.
55gr Hornady V-Max=Fairly controlled expansion vs. the 50gr v-max. More along the lines of the 50gr Nosler.
55gr Sierra Blitzkings=Probably the most expansion of the group, similar to the 50gr V-Max.
55gr Sierra Gameking=Pretty controlled expansion. 1"-1.5" exit wounds. IMO A better "heavy hide" bullet.
65gr Sierra Gamekings=Great controlled expansion. About the same size exit wounds as the 55gr Gamekings but with more exiting on "long through the body shots". Probably the best bullet for heavier critters, especially on marginal or quartering shots.

WMU 3A
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM

I'm currently using the 55gr V-maxs as a multi purpose 95%woodchuck, 5%fox/coyote bullet. My .223 is becoming a 100%fox/coyote rifle so once the V-max's are used up I'm going to switch back to the 55 or 65gr Gamekings. Coyotes are tough critters so I feel the more controlled expansion of the Gamekings will be an advantage.

WMU 3A
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 AM
The Man

Hornady 50 grain sx 28 grains winchester 748
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Chances are that your rifle has a 12" twist barrel. Your 22" barrel will probably not generate enough velocity to stabilize the 55 grain, poly tipped bullets. Conversely, the 40 grain bullets will probably be "over spun" and drift to the right. If you shoot max or near max loads, the 50 grain poly tip bullets are probably the ticket for best trajectory and wind drift avoidance. I'd fully test them first.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Regular Visitor

This guy asks a question, a half dozen guys take the time to give him an answer, and he doesn't even acknowledge or thank them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page