It's All About Personal Preference - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's All About Personal Preference

I think it's pretty interesting that on the under rated and over rated cartridge threads some people think the same cartridge is over rated while others thinks it's under rated.

I think to say for sure, you would have to hunt with or at least shoot with various different calibers to form an opinion. You can read all about them and know how fast they go and how many foot pounds of energy they produce, but numbers arnt everything. Just because you don't like it or are jealous because you don't have one doesn't make it overrated. Over rated to me means that they get more hype than they maybe deserve.

People have to remember, that cartridges aren't designed specifically for them. The people that designed them were trying to achieve something with their cartridge. Maybe try to fill a gap, maybe one that didn't need filling. Maybe try to compete with another company for the same customers. Maybe they just came up short, or maybe they hit the nail on the head and produced a real good one.

Everybody hunts differently, everybody hunts in different surroundings. Some people hunt different species. Sometimes there isn't a right or wrong caliber, often there are many choices that in the end will do the same job.

I think that the gun, the caliber, the scope, even the sling on the gun, says a lot about the hunter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Re: It's All About Personal Preference

I've used all the calibers I discussed. I've big game hunted 20 or 30 calibers from .22-250 to .450 Marlin. With that said give me a .270 or .30-06 and I'm good for all North America and for the rest of my life. I could sub the .308 in there too. Those are the bread and butter IMO and the rest is just playing around and having fun.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great post Pa Waterfowler!

It makes me laugh when I read some of the post's about right and wrong gun/cartridge.

I have shot deer with alot of cartridges and have always believed that its the right bullet in the right spot that kills deer, not the cartridge/gun. If you seen me in the woods I might be carrying some synthetic stocked, flat shooting magnum, bolt action with a high powered scope or I might be carrying a old classic wood stocked lever action or a bunch of other combinations. Some day when semi's become legal I will be carrying a AR. Not because I need the extra shots, because its just something different to hunt with. I think it is cool being in the woods with a cartridge most other people are not using.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
Some day when semi's become legal I will be carrying a AR.
Good luck, Tony
Me too! It is a great platform offering so many options.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:40 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep
With that said give me a .270 or .30-06 and I'm good for all North America and for the rest of my life.
They are the most practical rounds for most of us.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:03 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Waterfowler
I think it's pretty interesting that on the under rated and over rated cartridge threads some people think the same cartridge is over rated while others thinks it's under rated.

I think to say for sure, you would have to hunt with or at least shoot with various different calibers to form an opinion. You can read all about them and know how fast they go and how many foot pounds of energy they produce, but numbers arnt everything. Just because you don't like it or are jealous because you don't have one doesn't make it overrated. Over rated to me means that they get more hype than they maybe deserve.

People have to remember, that cartridges aren't designed specifically for them. The people that designed them were trying to achieve something with their cartridge. Maybe try to fill a gap, maybe one that didn't need filling. Maybe try to compete with another company for the same customers. Maybe they just came up short, or maybe they hit the nail on the head and produced a real good one.

Everybody hunts differently, everybody hunts in different surroundings. Some people hunt different species. Sometimes there isn't a right or wrong caliber, often there are many choices that in the end will do the same job.

I think that the gun, the caliber, the scope, even the sling on the gun, says a lot about the hunter.
Makes me wanna sing a round of Kumbaya.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 AM
The Man

Quote:
I think this would be a COOL game and the subject for a great new thread !!!

Post up a pic of one of your rifles and have Waterfowler tell us a lot about you......

Maybe I can get it started this afternoon when I get home.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
Some day when semi's become legal I will be carrying a AR.
Good luck, Tony
Me too! It is a great platform offering so many options.
YEP!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:

The Overrated and Underrated is a good chance to see the opinions of our members. I have two deer guns.. MY TC Encore 30.06 and Super Redhawk 44 mag. For what I hunt, I need nothing else. But its fun to talk, and see what other guys are doing, and maybe one will get some advice on a caliber they been looking at.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack
But its fun to talk, and see what other guys are doing, and maybe one will get some advice on a caliber they been looking at.
Exactly !!

It's all about personal opinion.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page