Rifles length of pull /Is it important? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Rifles length of pull /Is it important?

To check the length of pull on your rifle you should make sure your rifle is unloaded and safe to handle. Grip the rifle with your finger on the trigger. Lay the butt stock in the inside of your forearm, with the butt pad in front of your bicep. the recoil pad should just touch your bicep. If you hunt in cold weather you should subtract for clothing. Winter shooting would be a ball park of about an eighth of an inch.
Myself i have to put a recoil pad on every gun i use to get it to fit my arms!
Do you ever wonder about this on you guns?
I got this off of the internet it is not my writing or system.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Rifles length of pull /Is it important?

absolutely important. I have a shorter LOP so a rifle that is too long I don't hold it properly, doesn't balance well and felt recoil is greater due to poor form.

may not notice it as much if you are just shooting every now and then to get a rifle sighted in for deer season then hunting
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Is it important? Sure.

Deal breaker? I don't think so, within reason. If one can't physically reach the trigger, that's a problem. If it's so short you have the scope in your face, that's also a problem.

I'm 6'2, have fairly long arms, and I can shoot almost anything once I get accustomed to it. My 300H&H had a very short LOP stock on it when I got it, as it came to me from a smith who was a shorter guy, so he shortened up the stock to his liking. I think it was around 12.5" LOP or similar, and my "ideal" LOP is around 14.5 (15 if it's only for warm weather use).

My 35 Whelen got a McMillan stock I picked up for a great price from the original owner who decided he didn't have a use for it after all. it's about 13-13.5". People remark all the time "that's too short for you." Yet I shoot it fine, and manage the recoil fine.

I'm the same way with triggers. I shoot heavy, creepy, gritty triggers on my mil-surp guns and do well with them. IMHO, a bad trigger will teach you a lot about trigger control....where a light trigger I think is often (mis)used to mask/account for form and follow-through problems.....but that's a whole other conversation.

To answer the question, if I get to pick, I pick about 1/2" inch less than "ideal" (when measured as willyp described above), just so I'm not really reaching for a trigger in heavy layers.

If I don't get to pick, I don't sweat it.

IMHO, one of the most valuable skills a hunter can develop is to be able to shoot a lot of setups well. That, to me, means you have developed solid form and fundamentals. I always wonder what is going on for a shooter if they can't make at least a reasonable group with a cruddy trigger or some other "less than ideal" circumstance.

Now, all that said....if one wants to step up to real boomer of a caliber....something that burns some serious powder and throws some heavy bullets....then stock fit and design get a WHOLE lot more important for mitigating felt recoil.

For the rounds MOST of us shoot, that's not an issue. But go to the medium bores and up with a magnum case head and it gets a bit more important for the stock to fit at least reasonably well.

That's my take, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 PM

My experiences mirror what tdd posted.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page