scope choice?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

scope choice??

Have a new 22-250 Kimber provarmint rifle. Pulling from my existing scopes I have a new Sighttron 6X24X42. and a older Leopold 3X9X40 MM Vari-X-II. It appears the 42 MM Sighttron is touching the barrel with Redfield Med. rings meaning I would have to go to a high mount ring which I have never used and have always heard less accuracy because of the line of sight and/or higher check stock??

Am I better off going the route of the 42 MM and higher mounts or the 40 MM with Med mounts?

Is there a way to shim the 42 MM rings to get clearance from the barrel.

I would like this to be a 400 Yd+ ground hog gun.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 AM

Re: scope choice??

You can shim the bases with soda can. That will give you a little. I never heard of high rings causing accuracy issues. They are just hard to use for some people. I'd go with the Leupold personally, but then Leupold is all I buy.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Im a leupold fan too but 400 yard ground hog shots with a 3x9 will be challenging. Get higher rings and use the sightron, the added magnification will be nice. Keep your eyes open, you can find lightly used leupold 8.5x25 for around $700, ouch you might say, but the first time you shoot though it you'll forget all about that heavty price tav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 AM

I have the Leupold 8.5-25 on my 22-250 and love it.

benchrest
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

I have a leupold 6-24 on mine. I don't see how the higher rings would make the gun and scope less accurate. It might make you shoot it less accurately because your head would be in a less comfortable position, especially while prone.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
The Man

The higher rings will affect your sight in some due to the increased distance between the bore and the line of sight. But it's no big deal. If it's too much to shim just do the high rings.

You can get an add-on cheekpiece for the stock if you're not getting a comfortable cheek weld.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep
I never heard of high rings causing accuracy issues. They are just hard to use for some people.
Me neither. Just make sure your comb is high enough. You can add a foam comb to get the height.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

High rings won't affect sight-in accuracy, because you are connecting the invisible lines of bullet travel vs. optical line. But POI will be off a touch more with a higher ring, when you increase or decrease from the known sight-in distance.

Is it enough to matter? Depends on the accuracy You want from multiple distances.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:14 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Get the higher rings. Shims are generally a band-aid, not a cure, especially for this situation. Shims are more necessary to even a mismatch in height, such as on my Marlin where Leupold knows and will send their own shims out for using their 1-piece base on the 1895 receiver. They know it'll cause elevation issues, and you need to shim the rear of the base to correct the problem.

For a simple scope clearance issue, pull the bases and put on higher ones, then as someone said, get a cheek piece for your comb to adjust the height for a good cheek weld.

In the end, you need to get your scope objective high enough to clear the barrel. That means the scope has to go up from where the current rings place it, and you may as well do it right from the start.

(and keep the current rings once you replace them.....I promise you'll find a use for them at some point....)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Rusty
POI will be off a touch more with a higher ring, when you increase or decrease from the known sight-in distance.
I'm not quite sure I understand what your explaining here, No mater the height of the rings, when you shoot in for say a 100 yards, if you want to shoot at 200 the bullet drop will be the same, so I don't understand how POI changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page