30/30 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

30/30

Anybody still use this caliber?I recently pulled mine out for the first time in at least 20 years and brought back so many childhood memories and reminders of hunting at the camp with family when everyone had one. Today with all the magnum calibers and gun makers it made me think why nobody has offered this caliber in there line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 30/30

Maybe I am one of the few here but all the guns I have ever owned which is more then most could imagine a 30/30 never spent anytime in my safes. Come to think of it I don't recall ever even shooting one.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Banned

Yep, when we hunt areas outside of special regs, I or my one son will take my marlin 336 out. Since we got permission to hunt a spot locally though it doesn't get out as much as it used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A 30/30 is a great round and is ultra effective. it is still offered in modern guns. And I believe before the big magnum craze, more deer fell to the old 30/30 than any other round in Pa.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 PM

I have a few I use from time to time. Pre 64 Winchester 94 and a Remington 788.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Model 94 that was made before WWII that I take as a spare every year, mostly though because it looks so good on the rack during firearms season. Says 30 WCF on the barrel instead of .30-30.

RLTW
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 AM

I take my Winchester 94 in .30-30 for a walk at least once a season, between bear and deer hunting. My brother and I have both taken a few doe with it, and we both love the nostalgic feeling of carrying it.

I'd really like to get a buck with it, so next time I still have a buck tag come rifle season, it will more than likely be the first gun up to bat. My brother picked up his own recently, so he'll probably be looking to do the same.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 02:41 AM
Banned

Turdy-turdy! No thanks!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:09 AM
New Arrival

That is kinds funny, I just did the same thing. My first gun I bought when I was 13 was a Marlin 336C, some of the older guys will remember when you could return your glass pop bottles and get either a nickle or a dime for them depending on size. Well I saved and scrounged pop bottles for over a year to get enough to buy my own rifle. (walked a lot of road looking in ditches too LOL) Well when we took them to trade them in I had a full size Chevy truck bed full. Bought the rifle for 112.00 at SOLs in the Aliquippa plaza. That was 1977. Killed my first deer with it too.
Well I now live in KS and shoot a custome 6.5/06 or a .260 for long distances out here. BUT this year I got the old 336 out bought some dies and loaded up some rounds, plan on shooting her in again and using her in our Doe season.
Brought back a lot of memories of setting on my bed with it in my room back in PA and dreaming of deer. Sorting through my shells to see which would be the Magic one I would load on Monday morning. It seemed if I remember right a Winchester Silver Tip normally got the nod. LOL All the magic dreams of a kid in love with deer hunting. (and now a middle aged man still in love with deer hunting)

Take you kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Millions of deer will confirm it's more than enough to kill you !! Any .30 caliber hole in a vital area is more than enough to harvest any deer or bear, the cartridge has it's limits only due to velocity lose, but out to 200-250 with a scope should be fine. Back in the 50's-70's most kids carried them, the only thing I never liked is that hammmer, lots of time little fingers would pull it back by fidgiting and shots got fired trying to ease it down. But the old thirty thurdy can and does harvest deer..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page