Homedefense gun versus concealed carry - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Homedefense gun versus concealed carry

Had a very unsettling night. I go to bed early most every night.
Last night was no different. My wife and kids were up watching Olympics. Sometime after midnight I heard a scream like I have never heard followed by my phone ringing. It was my wife. My daughter was getting a drink and some one on our deck shined a flash light in her face. I jumped up and grabbed my handgun. Took 2 steps and realized that I hated how small and impractical it was. Grabbed the shotgun. Loaded it and headed toward the kitchen. Flipped the floodlights on. There is cops everywhere, a dog on my deck. Several cops shoulder to shoulder with long guns pointed at the other side of the deck. One yelled turn the lights off. I watched them search our entire property then move to the neighbors. I guess they found who they were looking for there. Lights and cars all pointed at and area. They brought a light truck in and lit up the area. But then my wife said I had to clear our house and especially our basement. I did so with a shotgun. Now I'm definitely buying a bigger hand gun. 380 just way to small. Carries nice but a handgun for the dresser with a mounted light would be nice. Something meaty. What's your home defense gun and carry gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:49 PM
The Man

Re: Homedefense gun versus concealed carry

My carry gun is a Glock 29..........about as much fight stopping power as you can put in a concealable package.

It also sleeps beside me at night. But my primary home defense gun is a short Winchester 1300 with the plug out and stuffed full of 00-buck.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Glock 19 loaded with 135 grain Critical Duty for a nightstand gun. For a long gun I use a AR15 loaded with 55 grain TAP. Surefire on the AR and Streamlight on the Glock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think it's kind of funny the amount of people that use a hand gun for home defense, I'm not trying to offend anyone but why wouldn't you use a shotgun. I guess there are two arguments. Handgun in the end table for daylight hours and loafing around but a Shotgun is the only choice for the bedroom. Wake up in the middle of the night, have groggy and not really focused on anything, someone coming up the stairs in the dark, after you figure out its someone that means harm a shotgun is point and shoot, no aiming necessary. Besides, if you rack one into a pump gun the sound alone will more than likely make them identify themselves as a non threat or get an intruder turned around headed in the right direction.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
I think it's kind of funny the amount of people that use a hand gun for home defense, I'm not trying to offend anyone but why wouldn't you use a shotgun. I guess there are two arguments. Handgun in the end table for daylight hours and loafing around but a Shotgun is the only choice for the bedroom. Wake up in the middle of the night, have groggy and not really focused on anything, someone coming up the stairs in the dark, after you figure out its someone that means harm a shotgun is point and shoot, no aiming necessary. Besides, if you rack one into a pump gun the sound alone will more than likely make them identify themselves as a non threat or get an intruder turned around headed in the right direction.
To think that aiming is not needed with a shotgun is completely wrong. At home defense distance that pattern is going to be pretty tight. Also, any gun you keep for protection should be chamber hot and ready to go.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Remington 870, no plug, 18 or 20" barrel, IC choke and 2 3/4 #6 shot..
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:27 PM

45acp, 9mm, 357, 45colt, 3-12ga's, 2-20ga's, and a pair of AR's with 30rnd mags cocked, locked and ready to rock. Oh, and that's just in my bedroom. Anyone that MIGHT come to my house knows not to come in unannounced.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Beretta .25 auto and Remington 870 12 gauge.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM

I'll grab my 12 ga long before any handgun, #4 buckshot with improved cyl, no need to call the ambulance..
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

At home, having a handgun as primary makes no sense. Handguns are a compromise so that a person can be armed without the size and weight of something worthwhile.

A home defense firearm is as simple as a 870 or 30-30. No big deal, go with what you have or like. My preference is a carbine of some sort, not a shotgun.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page