Turning Down A Barrel?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Turning Down A Barrel??

Many years ago I put a new barrel on a Win 70, 7mag because the factory barrel was horrible. At that point in time I didn't consider weight and length and ended up with a [censored] heavy barrel. I sighted it in and hunted with it a few times but due to it's weight it has become a safe queen. The work was done by a very reputable gunsmith and the barrel is high quality. With the low round count and the quality of the barrel, Instead of replacing it I'm considering finding someone to take a couple inches off of it and turn it down to reduce some weight.
Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in western PA that would do this type of work? I contacted ER Shaw and they said no, as they only work with their barrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:20 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Turning Down A Barrel??

Gotta be REALLY careful with turning barrels down. A lot of factors go into the success of that venture.

While not in western PA, per se, you might want to contact Bob Hart.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM

I can't recommend a gunsmith, but I think I'd look into have the barrel manufacturer do it if possible. They know their barrels.

That said, you could go all sexy with it and spiral flute to reduce the weight instead of just turning it down.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That's what I understand but I figured if I can find someone who knows what they're doing, and has done it before, I can keep the barrel I have and just make it lighter. I would really like to find someone in Western PA.

I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, FREEDOM, & MONEY. You keep the "Change."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

It's my understanding that the flute don't really reduce the weight that much?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Part of the Community

First, because turning a barrel to a smaller contour is labor intensive ( it must be done in incremental passes to reduce the risk of imparting stress on the barrel) you will be far ahead by just ordering a new barrel of the desired contour. Sell the old barrel here : accurateshooter.com in the classifieds for free.
Second, a cut rifled barrel stands a better chance of maintaining the original bore dimensions than a button rifled barrel. In any event, it's a gamble. Few people realize that when you reduce the OD of a metal cylinder, the ID can actually increase due to possible stresses that are inherent in that particular structure (barrel in this case). The change in a barrel will be measured in ten thousandths of an inch...but bore diameter and to the degree that it remains uniform is a critical aspect in accuracy.
Ditto on fluting...if not done properly, it won't shoot. Some smiths that are reasonably close " Dave Bruno in Dayton, Clarance Hammonds in Red Lion, Bob Green in York. These are Benchrest smiths who most likely will also offer their work at a competitive price.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

This is a Dave Bruno barrel. He advised that it would be worth having it turned down because of the quality of barrel and low round count.....as opposed to replacing it with new for much more money. Unfortunately, Dave isn't capable of this work so he told me to look around and see what I could find. I called a few people he recommended and they advised that they don't do that type of work. I cant imagine there are no smiths in western PA willing to tackle this, I just need to find one that is capable....and willing.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

They likely aren't willing to do it, not because they can't mechanically do it, but because they are concerned about the issues listed in the previous posts.

Metal can do weird stuff when you mess with it like that, and I would bet you a dollar a lot of smiths see that kind of thing as incurring a huge risk to have a ticked off customer when the barrel goes wonky after turning and your tackdriver starts shooting much bigger groups than it used to shoot. If you look at it from their perspective, they don't know the metallurgy of the barrel in intimate detail, and even if they did, it could still bite them in the butt when they turn or flute it.

Shortening is a bit different, but also know that it'll mess with the harmonics of the barrel, which means the pet loads it used to like may or may not still be good loads after shortening it up.

If this were my personal rifle, I'd be thinking more about selling, as was mentioned, get back what I can (knowing I'll lose some money in the sale compared to my initial outlay of funds), and go into a barrel more to my liking as a new barrel.

I had a rifle rebored. This is a process the guy who did it has done many times with great references, so I felt ok sending it, BUT....I also sent it knowing full well that if it went sideways I would be buying a new barrel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The rifle was a gift, first rifle from my Father about 20 years ago, so selling it is probably out of the question. Anyway, I don't sell my guns.
I am perfectly comfortable with giving it a shot and if it gets screwed up, buying a new barrel. I am willing to accept that if I can find someone willing to give it a shot.
We'll see what I can find.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerex
This is a Dave Bruno barrel. He advised that it would be worth having it turned down because of the quality of barrel and low round count.....as opposed to replacing it with new for much more money. Unfortunately, Dave isn't capable of this work so he told me to look around and see what I could find. I called a few people he recommended and they advised that they don't do that type of work. I cant imagine there are no smiths in western PA willing to tackle this, I just need to find one that is capable....and willing.
You would have to find a smith that has a taper attachment for his lathe. Again, it takes many passes @ slow feed rate and minimal depth of cuts....you're talking hours ....after set-up time. You do the math. If Dave thinks that highly of the barrel (I'm guessing is a step above an ER Shaw) then you can probably sell it for $150 to $200. Honestly, unless you're a nickel and dime guy, buying a new barrel will be your best option. I am not a fan of fluting, but Craig Colabaugh in Stroudsburg, PA might be an option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page