Parts of a rifle/ What helps accuracy most? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Parts of a rifle/ What helps accuracy most?

I have ask this on a few other places and the majority of replies were the BARREL.
I would have to say it is the heart of your rifle !
Next,in my opinion,is the trigger. Until you have had a rifle,with a decent trigger,you would not understand the joy of one and how different you can shoot.
Factory triggers,now days,are a good improvement over ones from 20 or less years ago,but still can be improved or changed?
Actions,not much you can do with these unless you are a gun smith.
Then,there is the stocks!!!!!! Plastic or what ever they are made from,can be hard to get to help you shoot better? I do what i can with the ones i have and make them fit and shoot well.You can change the stock but why put a $400 stock on a $250 gun? I have seen too many nice , pretty guns,be dropped,leaned against trees and fall or roll down hills,to change them !
The glass? It is an add on part,but,if it is not good,you will suffer,over time.
Just my thoughts?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Parts of a rifle/ What helps accuracy most?

Most important is the Shooter.

A good barrel, bedding, ammo, trigger and optics can improve on his/her accuracy. However, a bad shooter cancels all of those improvements.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

What Rusty said.

I'm not overly picky on triggers. I have some light/clean ones. I have some heavy/creepy/gritty ones. IMHO, if you can learn to shoot well with a cruddy trigger, you've learned actual trigger control.

This book was a complete mind shift for me on triggers:

https://www.amazon.com/Sight-Alignme...KL6#nav-subnav

Once I read and practiced what he talks about in that book with trigger control, I found that I cared a whole lot less how mechanically light a trigger was, and whole lot more about how "clean" it would break, and how reliable/consistent it was. If it breaks at 5lbs exactly, every time, I can shoot that a whole lot better than a trigger that varies from 1.5 lbs to 3lbs from shot to shot.

I sure haven't worked with tons of rifles, but when I get one that's hard headed, I usually go to my loading bench first and try the tricks of the trade there. If I can't get the response there that I'm looking for, I check for crown damage, bore problems, and bedding problems, in that order. Scope mounts/tightness/integrity get checked early on, too. I'll often change out to a known good optic to rule out the scope itself, too.

On factory rifles that I see anymore, my biggest suspect is usually structural integrity of what is often a cheap plastic stock, to include contact points on the barrel and bedding (both quality of work and HOW it's bedded).

I've had some real stubborn rifles come around through carefully working through all this. I "rescued" a rifle of my dad's when it started giving him issues. I pillared/bedded it, floated it, and worked a new load for it. Went from 5" at 100 to 4" at 300.

It can be done....but it's work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would say:

1.) Barrel
2.) Bedding
3.) Action
4.) Trigger
5.) Stock
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Part of the Community

In Benchrest competition it's all about the three "B's" barrels,bullets, and bedding.
Not sure what you mean by "heat of the rifle"? A good barrel and well bedded rifle will minimize Point of Impact changes because the harmonics are duplicated from shot to shot despite the rising temp of the barrel.
The trigger- a good solid rest set up can negate some of the extra force required to pull the trigger.
Lastly -the glass ....the old axium "you can't hit what you can't see" comes to mind.
In the end it is actually the sum of the parts that dictates accuracy.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I MISSED SPELLED "HEART". Didn't mean heat.

WILLY P
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Accuracy is like the weak link in a chain. It only takes one problem to diminish accuracy. I have pistols, shotguns and rifles with different trigger pulls and with all my guns with a lighter pull I get better accuracy and don't have the urge to yank the trigger.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM

Slightly different approach... MONEY !!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearswampguy
In Benchrest competition it's all about the three "B's" barrels,bullets, and bedding.
Not sure what you mean by "heat of the rifle"? A good barrel and well bedded rifle will minimize Point of Impact changes because the harmonics are duplicated from shot to shot despite the rising temp of the barrel.
The trigger- a good solid rest set up can negate some of the extra force required to pull the trigger.
Lastly -the glass ....the old axium "you can't hit what you can't see" comes to mind.
In the end it is actually the sum of the parts that dictates accuracy.

^^^This.

Technique can overcome a less-than-optimal trigger.

Technique can't compensate for bad mechanical repeatability (accuracy). I've had to deal with poor bedding and it's a real pain. Same for pressure points from the stock against the barrel.

Remember that factory hunting rifles, despite the marketing out there, are not match guns. There's a reason true match accuracy comes at a (steep) price.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt
Accuracy is like the weak link in a chain. It only takes one problem to diminish accuracy. I have pistols, shotguns and rifles with different trigger pulls and with all my guns with a lighter pull I get better accuracy and don't have the urge to yank the trigger.
Exactly- Reduce as many variables as possible, then it's a matter of reading the wind correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page