Browning A-Bolt vs Tikka T-3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Browning A-Bolt vs Tikka T-3

Okay, I know that these posts get old on here but the wife gave me the OK for a deer rifle. I've been borrowing a family heirloom from my old man for over two decades. My Grandpaps rifle, acquired in the 1930's for debt owed, is a Savage Model 99 in .300 Although I love that rifle and I've killed many a deer with it, its not mine. I hate to ask to borrow it every fall and then return it every winter.

I've narrowed my choice down to the two aforementioned rifles. Who owns one? what do you like or dislike? From what I've researched on the two company websites I'm ready to toss a coin.
I have narrowed my caliber to .270, not a big fan of the short magnum craze.
I have great optics to place on the gun, i just cant decide which one, as prices are a mirror image.
Help

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Browning A-Bolt vs Tikka T-3

t 3 known to be tough and accurate i want one in 243
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i own a tikka in 270.action is as smooth as any gun i have picked up.it is also very accurate with 130 gr.fed. ammo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a T3 in 25-06 it is one smooth gun and very accurate. I will never buy another Remington or anything else for that matter. Just my thoughts for what they are worth
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 AM

I have both. I prefer the Browning A-Bolt.

Both are accurate.

I like the safety on the Browning better. It is convenient and can be released quietly.

I like the magazine on the A-Bolt WAY better. It is attached to the inside of the hinged floorplate. Not only is it more secure there, but it looks better.

The bolt on the A-bolt is pretty slick, but not quite as slick as the Tikka. I don't really see why this matters that much.

The bolt throw on the A-Bolt is shorter, only 60 degrees. I don't see where that matters that much, either.

They are both great guns, and you can't go wrong with either. I have a .270, also. I would suggest considering the 7mm-08. The ballistics are very similar to the .270's and you can get a wider variety of tips for it. If you don't handload though, you will find less choices for the 708 and it will probably be more expensive. I can't figure out why. I load for both, and it costs me more to load for the .270.

I like the Tikka mounting system, the bases are built in to the gun. This will save you about 20 bucks.

Enjoy your new gun!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Browning A-bolt and absolutly love the gun. The only complaint is that I don't use it much during rifle season because I tag out in archery. I did start taking it out for long distance hogs 200+ yards and it did very well. Enjoy

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have 4 browning a-bolts 280 madallion,300wsm stainless stalker,243wssm varmint stalker,7mm mag eclipse thumbhole.All are very accurate and dependable,very smooth.I love the tang safety.I don't think you can go wrong with the brownining

!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Don't own a tikka, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one. What I like about the a-bolt is the safety position and the short bolt lift.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

I like the look and feel of the Browning A-bolt. The X bolt is pretty nice too.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know nothing about the Tikka, but I love my A-Bolt. I have the A-Bolt composite stalker in 7 mm mag with a Leupold 3x9. It is very very accurate! I like the safety position, clip and bolt lift. The only thing I do not care for is the long barrel, but that's what I got! My Uncle picked up the x-bolt and loves that as well! Good luck with your selection!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page