Leupold reticle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Leupold reticle

I need to get a scope for my Remington Model 7 300 WSM and decided on a Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x36mm and cant decided on which reticle to get the duplex or the Boone and Crockett which would you get? for those of you that have the Boone and Crockett reticle whats the good and bad of it?

Freezer full yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Leupold reticle

fine duplex.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

X2 on the fine duplex. The boone a crockett has too much going on for my taste. If you want to shoot long distance get an elevation knob and click for it. If your WSM is shot in for a 100 yards you can expect it to drop about 12 inches + or - a couple at 300. On deer size game you can hold for that once you've spent some time practicing. Get out close to 500 and you'll be dropping around 45inches. At that distance a lot of stuff starts to factor in. Click to it and read the wind. Or with the B&C you'll be wondering was it 3 lines up and 2 over with a 10mph wind or 2 lines up and 3 over. Of course there are guys who love the B&C, just not me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 AM
The Man

I own both b&c and varm. hunter ret. but i have 4.5 x14 and 6.5 x 20 they both have there place google them and you can get the detail look of the scope. the are excellant product but like anything else you have to understand them. they are designed for mid range shooting or long range to some. the key is you have to understand moa ' minute of angle ' but most people dont and it really dont matter if your only shooting a couple hundred yards. You must take your say 300 wsm work the load or factory ammo and chronograph it. go to a ballistic calculator they are free on line and enter your data is asks very simple. the varmint hunter has a main croos hair to sight in at 200 yards, then another hash at 1.81 moa your than hoping this is around 300 yards / 4.13 moa- 400 yards / 7.02 moa- 500 yards. Your trying to achieve as close as you can yardage wise per hash so you can hold on and hit instead of using kentucky windage. i have a 6mm x284 with the 85 sierra is so close is unreal. at 500 yards it is with in 2-3". I have another gun a 25x 284 with the boone and crocket i overshoot the reticle but know how to compensate like the 300 hash mark i can shoot around 330. they are very good but do your homework need any help with details please pm me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
X2 on the fine duplex. The boone a crockett has too much going on for my taste. If you want to shoot long distance get an elevation knob and click for it. If your WSM is shot in for a 100 yards you can expect it to drop about 12 inches + or - a couple at 300. On deer size game you can hold for that once you've spent some time practicing. Get out close to 500 and you'll be dropping around 45inches. At that distance a lot of stuff starts to factor in. Click to it and read the wind. Or with the B&C you'll be wondering was it 3 lines up and 2 over with a 10mph wind or 2 lines up and 3 over. Of course there are guys who love the B&C, just not me.
i had trouble this year bouncing from guns with b&c and to vm hunter. also had toughtime seeing crosshair in low light with the vm hunter. i like clicking better also and these new lupys are tracking real well. i sent a 6.5x20 to shop for m-1 and the darn thing tracks as well as my nightforces.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here's one for ya. Leupold can, by custom order, install a German #1 reticle. It's the best!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
The Man

Im not familar with that reticle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage

I'll give a vote for the fine duplex also...Really like my 4x12x40 Leupold with the fine duplex. I never really tried it for night hunting....night time rig has a Leupold with the standard reticle.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page