Choosing bullets for magnum rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Choosing bullets for magnum rifles

There's a little bit of discussion on another thread on here about bullet blowup and tissue destruction from .300 magnum rifles, huge exit holes, etc. I've always thought that this type of stuff results from choosing the wrong bullet for what your hunting. What does everyone else think? For example, I do think that the .300 mags are one of the more "victimized" rounds for this stuff. Most of the .30 caliber bullet development has been, though not so much anymore, for the .30-06. So bullets are made to perform at '06 velocities. Run these same bullets through a .300 magnum at 300 to 500 fps faster and you have a problem waiting to happen. The bullet cannot with stand the impact velocity and comes apart unless it impacts at 300 yards or more and has slowed down some.
To me, the purpose of a magnum rifle is twofold. You either shoot the same bullet faster or you shoot a bigger bullet. I never understand guys choosing a .300 mag and 150 grain plain vanilla bullets for deer in PA and then complain that it blew up. If you don't want tissue destruction that is where apremium bullet is needed, or shoot a heavier bullet that is constructed tougher.
I am way off here??? I am interested in hearing what people think on this. Also interested in hearing some bullet choices that you shoot out of magnum rifles and why you shoot them.
I'm sure some will disagree with some of what I've said so I'm NOT trying to start anything, just trying to gain some other perspective here and see what folks are thinking on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
The Man

Re: Choosing bullets for magnum rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
I am way off here???
Nope. Pretty much sums it up.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM

When I load for magnums, if I want to minimize damage, I go with a thick jacketed heavy bullet, if I want to turn groundhogs into mist, I use a thin jacketed light bullet. My thinking may be wrong, but it has worked for me so far.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Regular Visitor

i wouldnt say that bullet weight has to do with the amount of damage done as the kind of bullet your shooting. for whitetale and other medium sized game i shoot a 165 hornaday sst and get a silver dollar sized exit hole. now i could use the same powder and same weight bullet but switch to a ballistic tip and wind up with alot more damage. different bullets are designed to do different things upon impact.

you could shoot a deer with a 50 BMG and use a FMJ and just wind up with a 50 caliber size hole about the same as a hollow point 300 mag. a animal the size of a whitetale just doesnt have enough mass to open up a bullet like a FMJ

Im more sold on the bullet is more important than the caliber to and extent. Throw some nosler ballistic tips in a 270 and watch the meat get wasted. tried that once and only once.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Spot on Kudu, you have to match the bullet to the game no matter what caliber you are using.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

I think bullets such as the Nosler Accubond are really the best choice for the magnums.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

I use Remington factory ammo in my .300 RUM. They are 180 grain premiere swift sirocco bonded bullet with polymer tips.

I have never had an issue with these bullets blowing huge holes in anything that I have shot with them. Most exit holes are only slightly larger than the entrance holes
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Moose, I have some friends who think they are junk and one of them will slander them from dawn to dusk with an experience he'd had a few years ago while deer hunting, with magnum velocities out of a .300 SAUM at short range-25 yards.. I've never shot them so I have no opinion one way or the other. I have lots of experience with Nosler Partitions and Barnes X-bullets from .224-.416 both from the bench and on game animals up to the size of bull elk.. I have never had one of them fail under any condition, angle of entry or any other condition or situation. I've used both under all types of velocities also..they seem to mushroom the same for the most part and I've never recovered a single bullet from either all, no matter where the hit occured were complete pass throughs.. I have no reason to ever change, you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter
I think bullets such as the Nosler Accubond are really the best choice for the magnums.
I killed two doe with accubonds out of my .308 this year.Two kills don't tell alot but I'm up in the air about them.The first deer was a high shoulder shot that dropped like a sack of potatoes.The entrance and exit wounds were about the same size and the amount of bloodshot was minimal.I started to think that there wasn't much expansion.The second doe was hit when it came by me.She stopped,facing directly away from me so I took the only shot I had and I only did so because she was already wounded.The bullet entered just under the tail,smashed the pelvic bone and lodged in the spine at the base of the neck.The deer dropped right there and was dead by the time I got to it.When I cut that deer up,I found the little white tip,still in tact and right next to where I FOUND THE MUSHROOEMED BULLET.I honestly don't know what to think.The bullet travelled the entire length of the deer and was perfectly mushroomed.I just don't get why the tip made it the entire way through that deer if it expanded.Like I said earlier,two kills aren't enough to base a solid opinion on but my intial impression is that they should be used on heavier game.

I also use a a 300 wsm for deer.I've killed a couple doe with 165 gr interbonds at 3050 fps.One doe was hit in the neck and dropped on the spot.The exit wound was the size of a half dollar.The other doe was was shot facing me and the bullet lodged,perfectly mushroomed near the deer's tail.That deer ran close to 100 yards before dropping.

The best load I've found for that rifle is a 180 gr sst in front of 65 gr of H4350.Every deer I've hit with that has dropped in it's tracks and the exit wound if the size of a silver dollar.I'm not sold on bonded bullets for deer.They pentrate and hold together but I'm seeing evidence of iffy expansion.At higher velocities,I still like a "heavy for caliber"bullet that expands rapidly like a standard Hornady interlock.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM

[quote=dce][quote=moosehunter].I just don't get why the tip made it the entire way through that deer if it expanded.Like I said earlier,two kills aren't enough to base a solid opinion on but my intial impression is that

The tip is not expected to expand - its only purpose is to initiate expansion of the jacket/core,

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page