270 wsm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

270 wsm

Anybody have one of these? I have an option to but a wby vangard in a 270wsm for a good price, and I will likely purchase it regardless, but was wondering what you guys have to say. I know the gentleman that owns the gun, I have shot it before. I know what he thinks of it. It doesnt seem to be real popular, hard to find good info on the web about it. I know its a flat shooter with high velocity, and that alot of people seem to think a 300wsm is better because of the heavier bullet.

Ephesians 2:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 AM

Re: 270 wsm

The 270 WSM is just another usless cartridge that has no real purpose and has fallen from favor fast. IMO if you want a 270, buy a 270 and forget the gimick calibers.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
The Man

Basically you'll get about 250 fps more than a 270 Winchester which correlates into a little flatter trajectory and more energy in a short action rifle. My Dad picked one up in a Vanguard several years back and has fallen in love with it!!

Here's a good write-up from Dick Metcalf on the 270 WSM

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...01_winchester/

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have experience with the 270wsm, and own the 300wsm. Both excellent in my opinion. Recoil seems to be on par with their old school counterparts. Accuracy has been superb in both (both Savages). If you handload, don't hesitate for a second. The cases may cost a few bucks more, but you'll use/spend less in powder. Primers and bullets will be equal. If you do not reload, prepare to pay big bucks for rounds. Although 270wsm and 300wsm are pretty easy to find on store shelves, at least in my local shops.

NRA Member
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bonzy. That article that you reference is old, from the media guide that Winchester promoted when the WSM thing was hot marketing stuff. Few gun writers would agree with it today (if gun writers opinion mean anything, I think not).

WSM is generall dead, it solved a problem on one cared about...the length of the action. The 270 Win cartridge is here and will be popular for the rest of your life. Ammo before hunting season "on Sale" is fantastic. 1/3 the price of the 270WSM.

You can always reload for the WSM, so if you want to play with cartridges that is an OK cartridge choice. Not any better than the 270 win, but different. If you do not reload, you will be stuck with very limited bullet selection and weight in factory ammo.

The only advantage was a very slight lesser recoil, hardly noticeable by shooters and off set by the lighter action in which the WSM was offered.
Personally, if you want a flat shooting light recoiling short action rifle for PA the 260 rem is the way to go. But is is a short cartridgge and shooters want something that looks big; so the 260 Rem may disppear some day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would not hesitate buying a rifle chambered for the 270 WSM. I dont think the WSM family is going away, unlike the Remington SAUM's. Finding/buying ammo in the 270 WSM is going to be no different than getting it in some of the other forgotten deer rounds (250-3000, 257 Rob., 260, 264, 25-06, 280, 284, 300 sav., 358 ect.).

Personally I dont own a 270 WSM but I have done some load development with a freind and his. It has no problem topping the 270 win by 250+ FPS with 130 gr. bullets. While doing it in a short action, two of us do care.

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

An honest 3400fps over the chronograph with a 130gr TSX without any pressure signs leaves the 270Win in the dust. There is not any 270win ammo on sale at 1/3 the price that will ever come close to that.
Not sure how the WSM has lesser recoil being it pushes the same bullet weights as the 270win faster with more powder, but I'm only speaking from lots of range time with the one I own, not magazine articles. It is on par recoil wise with the 270Wby and 7mm Mag with similar bullet weights as case capacity and powder amounts are close. It is not uncomfortable to shoot. It is very accurate. It is flat shooting. Case life is very good because it headspaces on the shoulder.
The good old 270Win is a great round and it's record speaks for itself. If you want all that plus a bit more the .270WSM is not a bad choice. In my opinion where the 270Win is considered minimal for large game such as elk, the ability of the the 270WSM being able to drive well constructed bullets faster and flatter elevates it to a better elk cartridge.

Limited ammo selection and weights: Well if you can't kill what your after with just this one quick search of what's available then I guess a 270win will do you MUCH better........http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/defa...43_14904_14795

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cartridges are designed to do a certain job within a certain range. Most accomplish that as well as can be done and when used within it's parameters there is no need for anything else.
Anytime a "new" or "better" cartridge is introduced it usually does one of three things.
1. It equals the performance of similar cartridges in a smaller and more efficient design.
or
2. It exceeds the performance of similar cartridges and allows a good cartridge/caliber to become even more versatile.
or
3. Both of the above.
In each case someone somewhere felt it necessary to improve on something they already had to suit it to their needs. Usually it is to enhance performance by making a cartridge faster, more efficient or so different that it stands out from similar designs..
Very rarely if ever has anyone came out with a new cartridge solely based on affordability. There are no free lunches if you want to have the performance you are used to AND a little more, then you pay for it.
I don't think anyone of us could argue that if our only criteria for owning hunting cartridges in Pa was affordability we could all get by with and never need anything but a .22LR, 30/30win, and a 12ga. Pick the cheapest load for each and all you have to do is get close or closer to harvest any game in the state.
Fortunately there are many, many, many other choices out there to do what we want done. Anyone that is satisfied with what they have is just what they need then so be it. Anyone that has something that already works but is looking for something else either newer, bigger, smaller, faster, fatter, whatever, then so be it.
That is what separates us and keeps the ammo guys in business.
Usually need and want are the two factors that it comes down to when making the decision on what your first, next or last firearm is gonna be. 95% of it is want or we would all be shooting 30/30's in deer season.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Short mags never interested me. I have a hard enough time appreciating standard length magnums. I like magnums to be magnum length like the .375 H&H.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Neck one down and start the CRAZE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page