300 win mag..the most versatile big game caliber. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

300 win mag..the most versatile big game caliber.

yesterday was shooting "old winnie" and have to say i believe the 300 WIN MAG to be the absolute best most versatile round, for all of North American big Game. Some will give that honour to the old 30-06, but i don't think so. The old winnie will do everything an 06 will do, and more..i can load mild, low recoil loads at 30-06 velocity's for deer, or i can run em hotter and heavier, to hunt the big bears, or to stretch across a wide canyon for elk.for deer only i'd choose a 25-06, but for All of North America i'd choose the 300 winnie hands down. There are bigger and better calibers for the big bears..but recoil becomes an issue for many..So for an all around North American big game rifle...my vote goes to the 300 Win mag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 300 win mag..the most versatile big game caliber.

Totally agree, love my .300!

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade mt
The old winnie will do everything an 06 will do, and more..i can load mild, low recoil loads at 30-06 velocity's for deer, or i can run em hotter and heavier, to hunt the big bears, or to stretch across a wide canyon for elk.
Can you make the rifle lighter and more comfortable to carry?...Hunting is 99.9% carrying, and .01% shooting...I own a number of these rifles, and to lug a magnum up and down ridges each day is not something I relish....I use mine in the field on occasion for long shooting, but for all of the situations you mentioned, a 270 will do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

i am with big ken, i carry my model seven 7mm saum which is about 7 3/4 lbs loaded and ready to rock. my 7mm mag bdl sits in the field with me .
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by shade mt
The old winnie will do everything an 06 will do, and more..i can load mild, low recoil loads at 30-06 velocity's for deer, or i can run em hotter and heavier, to hunt the big bears, or to stretch across a wide canyon for elk.
Can you make the rifle lighter and more comfortable to carry?...Hunting is 99.9% carrying, and .01% shooting...I own a number of these rifles, and to lug a magnum up and down ridges each day is not something I relish....I use mine in the field on occasion for long shooting, but for all of the situations you mentioned, a 270 will do just fine.
I gotta go with Ken on this one. One thing I've came to lothe is carrying a heavy gun. I used to do it, but soon reallized I hated big guns after my arms started to burn.

Not saying a 300 is a bad cartridge. It's a good one, but most guns chambered for them are on the heavy side.

You can get them the weigh the same, but the recoil isn't something I relish from a gun like that.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree, its hard to beat the 30's for versatilty. They dont kick bad and have a endless amount of bullet weights and styles available. I dont have a Win. mag, but one of the other 30's that shoots its bullets just a step faster than the Win Mag.

Like you said, I am sure people claim the 30/06 being more versatile. I worked with a guy who stated "what can a 300Wby do that a 06 cant?" easy 3200 fps with a 180gr bullet. You can always duplicate 30/06 performance in a 300 Win. but you cant duplicate 300 Win performance in a 30/06.

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"Can you make the rifle lighter and more comfortable to carry?"

Yes

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM

have to agree. its hard to beat the 300 for its versatility. up to just a few hundred yards it doesnt really what your rifle is chambered in, but the 300wm gives that extra performance when it might be needed. when i start to choose my rifles by how much it weighs over its perfomance, i will give up hunting.
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I really think it's the 300 wsm without a doubt for some of the reason Ken stated but it will do everything the 300 win mag will do but in a shorter action!I think the 300 wsm is the best all around north american caliber out there!

!
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

got to agree, the 300 win mag is clearly the most versitile round.

Funny comments as most 300 mags weigh slighly less than the same model with the same 24 inch barrel as a 270. Simply because the barrel exterior contour is the same for the 270 and the 300; but the bore is larger meaning less steel/weight.

I traded up to a 300 RUM a few years ago....mistake. the 300 Win Mag is more balance a cartridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page