Remington Under Fire - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Remington Under Fire

My new (January 2011) issue of <u> </u> American Rifleman <u> </u> arrived today. It contains a short story regarding the CNBC program titled above which aired in October. The article makes interesting reading, and sets out Remington's contention that CNBC contrived with plaintiff lawyers involved in the class action suit against them, to sway the public and thus created a dishonest treatise of the subject. If you receive this magazine, take a few minutes to read the article. If you do not receive the magazine, here is link to a very short Remington response:

http://www.remington700.tv

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington Under Fire

Another example of slanted reporting by NBC, remember the Chevy truck fuel tanks? Hope Remington files a mega-million dollar law suit against them.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Sage

I recall it. NBC tried to simulate reported collision-related fuel tank fires on GM trucks and couldn't get any to catch fire during collisions, so they affixed model rocket motors to the tanks, then ignited them via remote control when the trucks were hit.

These were the trucks with fuel tanks mounted outside of the frame rails, which is why all trucks now have them mounted inside the frame rails today, via federal mandate.

Same deal with CNBC and Remington. Situation created by product liability lawyers, networks tried to give 'em a hand by exposing the "problem".

Believe half of what you see and little of what you hear and you'll be fine.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but there have been forums on this board where folks have reported the exact kind of problems that were alleged to have occurred on the CNBC show. I'm not a fan of the mainline media. I don't trust those folks as far as I could throw them. But if there was a known defect in these rifles and Remington knew about it, they should be held accountable.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 AM
The Man

i watched that some time ago my self and not sure. i have only remington 700's and do a lot of shooting. of course every one has trigger work done to them. i asked 2 guys that i put a lot of trust in with there opinions. first my friend who has a nice gun shop in my area and does some gunsmithing for me. he claims its a good trigger never seen a problem and thinks it could be human error. I do know cleaning with out a bore guide and not knowing the functions of how it works is not goog also. the other guy runs a full time gunsmithing service and says remington has the sloppiest mechanical parts there is. He has known this slam fire to occur to customers that he has dealt with. he also said when his kids was growing up it was a joke in his home that if an appliance quit working that it must of been a remington hearing him complain so much. i can say for my self i do a lot of shooting and oun a fair amount of 700's and never had a bad experience. But, this hunting season i was very careful each time i closed my bolt. I don't know what to say.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Their was,it was the Walker trigger & Remington knew about it.It is no longer used in the Remington rifles all new production rifles use the Pro-Max trigger.

But if there was a known defect in these rifles and Remington knew about it, they should be held accountable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 AM
The Man

I didn,t read the article in question,but 60 minutes did a program on this many years ago.Yes,it was 100% true,the 60minutes story anyway.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Part of the Community

Never seen the one with the chevy trucks but don't understand why they wouldnt put tank between frame rail to begin with. Less likely to get punctured. In an accident theres alot that could light a leaking tank up
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Sage

For the previous 50 years, most pickup tanks were usually in the cab behind the seat, prior to placing them along the frames. Decisions on where to put things is usually made from the standpoint of production costs.

Doing things from the standpoint of safety, more stems from government declarations and/or trial and error.

Same with firearms, for the most part. Few original designs have lasted forever without some changes, which is why we now have added "safeties" on such things as M94s and M336s.

It's a given that there are/were problems with the original M700 trigger/safety system. Some are/were caused by tinkering and poor maintenance, some may be from an inherent weakness in the original design?

Bottom line, is that probably no one was ever injured if basic firearm safety was followed when handling the M700, just as with any other rifle. The lady that unloaded hers and killed her son, obviously wasn't handling her rifle in a safe manner, since she had it pointed at him when it discharged.

Any mechanical device <u>can</u> fail, regardless of how well it was designed or manufactured. Stick with that and you'll likely never have any major problems.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
The Man

I always did say everything mechanical is subject to breakdown. I hate to opinionate to hard for rem. side i would feel very bad if someone read my post that was injured especially fatal one. But yes even if it was mech. problem if the muzzle was in a safe direction no one would of been hurt basic 101 gun handling unfortunate some one hurt. I just picked up a rem 700 22-250 used good buy and the trigger was worked on by an idiot. It had a creep worse than a savage accu. trigger. First thing i took it to my buddy and he fixed it properly and he stated who ever worked on this is why rem. is under fire. like i said earlier i have only 700's and quite a few and shoot alot and never experienced a problem. On the tv show thinking it was 60 minutes i watched and seen a gunsmith from nj. name bob white. I used to shoot bench rest with bob in the 90's and he stated on tv all the guns he has built on rem. actions and shooting he done never seen a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page