Hammer Down or Half Cock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Hammer Down or Half Cock

When I hunt with my Winchester Model 94 I always carry it with the hammer all the way down and the safety on. Is this standard procedure? I've heard of people carry them at half cock and even full cock (with the safety on). Just wondered if people actually do that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Re: Hammer Down or Half Cock

It depends on the weapon. My personal Model 94 is about 30 years old or so. There is no safety. However, there is a half-cock.

I carry it on half-cock because it is the safest way to carry that particular rifle. It is kinda like a safety. But nothing to be relied on.

With any lever action, there is only one way to make it fire. And that is to squeeze the trigger.

Mine.....I use half-cock. But if you have a newer one with a safety on it....Use it.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Regular Visitor

I carry my Marlin 336 with the CBS on and the hammer at half cock. But the best safety is always between your ears.

Martin Bow
Marlin 336C 35 Rem
Marlin 1894 C 357 Mag
Remington 760 & 700 BDL 30.06
S&W 44 Mag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 AM
The Man

When you carry one of these lever actions with the hammer down against the back of the firing pin, all it's gonna take is a fall or some other kind of "knock" on that hammer, and the rifle is going to discharge..The safety mechanism only works when the hammer is at 'half-cock' and blocks the hammer from coming in contact with the firing pin....I ran into two dad's with their sons hunting like this last year in separate incidents,,, and when I pointed out this problem, they were surprised to hear it..As much as I love the old levers, I'd never let a kid use one today.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'd like to see statistics of where a 336 or 94 has killed because of the "half cock" saftey. most would have been killed because they had the muzzel pionted where it shouldn't have been. first and formost watch where that gun is pointing

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
When you carry one of these lever actions with the hammer down against the back of the firing pin, all it's gonna take is a fall or some other kind of "knock" on that hammer, and the rifle is going to discharge..The safety mechanism only works when the hammer is at 'half-cock' and blocks the hammer from coming in contact with the firing pin....
Prior to my retirement 10 years ago, I was a product liability investigator for many clients, among them Olin- Winchester. I had a case exactly like that in Luzerne County around 1992. A gang was driving deer. Near end of the drive, an elderly gent was a stander with a pre transfer bar Model 94. Three deer ran by, he aimed, slipped in the snow, fell and rifle discharged. The bullet struck a 19 year old nearby, also a stander, in the buttocks. The kid had permanent injuries. Two years later, Winchester was sued, alleging the transfer bar could have been designed years prior. Unfortunately, the elderly gent then had Alzenheimers and could not remember anything. We believe he had the firearm fully cocked and when he fell, the hammer struck the ground and the gun detonated. Our engineers found no defect with the product. My client paid a small sum to avoid litigation. The gent's homeowners paid its limit, $100,000.

benchrest
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Half cock.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM
The Man

I never owned one a lever gun and have a question here. I have a friend who said is girlfriend like about 30 years ago almost killed him with a hammer gun. So with the hammer in the down position isnt the way you would normally hunt? Kind of see the point if it would get bumped hard and hit the firing pin. never knew any of this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the hammer in the half cocked position is the safty. if you can pull the trigger in that position get your gun fixed. never carry this style gun with the hammer against the firing pin

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
The Man

thanks, didnt know that but never owned one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page