The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Marlin lever guns - Remlins vs JM

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  SnoodStretcher 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer some first hand experience on this subject?

I've been hearing that some of the issues that occurred when Remington first started manufacturing the Marlin lever guns have been addressed and fixed. I'd like to purchase one in the near future and finding a JM gun that someone is willing to part with is like finding a pink unicorn.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Don't be too quick on this search. You may be surprised what turns up after the holidays and people want some cash. I got my JM guide gun in 45-70 right after Christmas off the classifieds on 24 Hr Campfire. Thing is a real tank, and a great shooter.

#6 ·
shuey 270 said:
I picked up a 1952 .35rem. I'm now looking for a 45/70 for my son but can't find a JM gun. May have to buy a new one.
I've picked up 2 45-70s in the last year. Bought both on Gun broker. never found a used local. JMs are bringing top dollar, but I found one LNIB cheaper than a new, and another barely used cheaper than I could of bought new. Spent alot of time window shopping before I bought.
I've been reading marlinowners.com 45\70 forum regular. Great bunch of guys and a TON of info. There are all the serial #s listed for the JM years there also. I can PM it to you or the OP if you like, good info to have when shopping.
The general concencus there seems to be find one that is earlier than 2009 (or early 2009) or your marlin may be a marlington. Guys were ticked when they figured out they were going to lose thier jobs and were having to train thier replacements. Plant was moved 2010 and even some 2009 barrels were assembled at the new plant. Seems like the first few years of remlins were bad, then got a tad better, and now there seem to be guys saying thier remlins are just fine. From what I am reading the absolutely latest 2015s seem to be the best. The die hards will never agree and list some "faults" that are well beyond me.
I am simply regurgetating what I have read and answers to the questions that I have asked.
I have an 1895ABL and now also 1895GS to see if the straight stock appeals to me. The GS is "handier" as it is a bit lighter without the laminated stock and longer mag tube. I gave up trying to find the 1895SBL that I really wanted because they go for just too much $ for what I am willing to pay for the JM stamp.
Hope this helps.

#9 ·
wdchuckhuntr said:
My Remlin is fine, but maybe I have lower standards than others.
I for sure wasn't trying to degrade the new ones just passing on what I read. Lots of guys seem quite happy. My personal standards are if the stock met up well, the sights were straight, and it cycled smooth I'm buying. Mine are hunting guns and reloading projects, not safe queens. I went to all the effort to get JM because the way my shoulder is feeling and I knew I may need to sell and I would probably get a better resale value. Haven't heard anyone say the remmington barrels are less accurate than the JM stamped ones.

#10 ·
I have a 1973 Model 336 in 30/30, which is pre-safety. I got it used of course, so it is well broken in and smooth working. Great shooter too. I would certainly look for a JM model, however, to Remington's credit, I heard that since mid to late 2014, Remington really got their act together, and are making some really good Marlin lever guns now. Indeed it is true that some of the early Remlins were trash with horrible quality control, so be weary. But if you can find one made within the last year or so, chances are it is just fine.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info so far!

From what I've been digging up, fit and finish are more the issue than function or safety. I closely examined a newer (2013ish) Guide Gun today and it looked pretty flawless to my eyes. The action felt buttery smooth like some of the older guns I've handled also.

#16 ·
The new ones are great to row a boat. Just get two in your hand a older jm stamped and a remlin Hellen keller could feel the difference. Have a 1895 45-70 that's 22 years old and a 35 Marlin that's 50 years old the quality is awesome. My boys will enjoy guns long after I gone. Quality lasts plain and simple

#18 ·
Make the rounds of local gun shops/shows there were millions of "JM" Marlins made. You should be able to find a good one in the $350-375 range(30-30 more for other calibers).

I also agree that "JM's" had some problems too especially those made in the late 70's early 80's. I know on mine the lever will spring open an little bit. If you don't notice it, it will not eject the shell but will try to load the next one resulting in an annoying little jam.

#20 ·
SnoodStretcher said:
Can anyone offer some first hand experience on this subject?

I've been hearing that some of the issues that occurred when Remington first started manufacturing the Marlin lever guns have been addressed and fixed. I'd like to purchase one in the near future and finding a JM gun that someone is willing to part with is like finding a pink unicorn.

Thanks.
I recently picked up a decent shape JM 336 in 35 Remington with a 2-6 Redfield scope, ammo, and brass for $250. So they are out there, just have to be at the right place at the right time. While it is the only Marlin lever action I currently own I have handled alot of them in the past while working in a gun shop. Personally I have always found the Marlin's quality, inexpensive guns. Like everyone else I have heard about the quality issues and seen some pictures of some problems on the WWW. But all of the new ones I have handled since Remington taking over have been on par with any other Marlin I had handled. I wouldn't expect a brand new gun's action to feel as smooth as a older gun. The smooth feel comes from the action being cycled alot and the newer guns will have the same feel over time.

Good luck, Tony

#21 ·
I got lucky and found a '00 manufactured Guide Gun locally and got a tremendous deal on it. It's a blued model with a ported barrel, exactly what I was looking for.

Now to decide on a sighting system and get to shooting!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.