Winchester Commerative Model 94's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Winchester Commerative Model 94's

I remember when Winchester made a commerative Model 94 30/30's every year back in the late 60's and early 70's. Things like The Lone Star, The Golden Spike, etc etc are these guns worth anything today?

Heard tell they are worth more if you saved the box too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Winchester Commerative Model 94's

NIB (New In Box) is always worth more. Because Winchester saw the extra profit on those commerative, as the company was dying, they made a lot.

I see them at gun shows and they really were poor investments. sometimes they are at the original retail price, sometimes mabybe $100 more. If more than that they seem to walk home with the dude that brought them.

If you like the embellishment, or the honory, they make a nice addition to a gun cabinet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I could make a pretty penny if I ever decided to sell my John Wayne's. I bought several rifles and seven cases of JW ammo. A couple years ago I broke open a couple cases of the JW ammo and sold the ammo for $50 a box. And sold it pretty fast.

Some of the commemorative rifles are pretty valuable. But you really need the box. As well as the sleeve that most of the boxes fit into. The sleeves were worth a good bit of money also. It seems the ones in odd cartridges also did better. Also the different comm. ammo has raised a good bit in price. Like the Wells Fargo. And the Eagle Scout, and Boy Scout ammo. As well as the Eagle Scout and the Boy Scout rifle. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

theres always a handful of these on gunbroker for 500-800 bucks

B J game calls... specializing in custom closed and open reed predator calls

"Hit em again!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Sage

Had the chance to buy oodles of the John Wayne ammo years ago and didn't. Used to be a small gunshop in town that lasted about 6 or 8 years. When the guy was getting ready to sell out, offered me a stash of that stuff at cost.

IIRC, they were in special boxes and were nickel plated cases? Thinking they were 38-55? But that was probably 30 years ago, or more.

A buddy has about two dozen M94 commemoratives in his den. All out along one wall. He dusts them regularly with a paint brush and all the boxes/paperwork is stashed someplace. Almost bought the Crazy Horse commemorative years ago, but the guy hadn't kept the box.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

rule 1 with these is unfired, with no wear. Even if you don't shoot them, continuously working the action and putting wear marks on the action does little good.

Unfired, with box, paper, manuals and book brings the premium. If they've been shot, or have marks on them, most won't pay more than a normal 30-30.

some, like the john wayne in 38-55 bring big bucks, others like the canadian centennial not so much.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

i have the 100th year gold plated 30-30 but dont have the box it was never fired has low ser # i know the guns not worth more than what it was payed for but it was made in 1964 not that long ago im sure it will be worth more in another 50-75 years.

i also have a 1894 44-410 that my dad bought as a teen for 10 dollars but trust me its worth alot more than that now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

While in the USCG I purchased the Lone Star 1970...I was stationed in Texas at the time on a Cutter in Corpus Christi, Texas.. paid $80.00 for it through the CG exchange officer aboard the cutter...Got it shipped right from Winchester. Yes I got rid of the box...But it has never been fired or even the hammer dropped on it.. Hopeful down the road not in my time it might go up in price even without the box...Surely it's worth more now then $80.00. Gee I wish I purchased more guns through the gov't PX's back then..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page