What's wrong with big guns? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What's wrong with big guns?

Why is it on the internet guys who use powerful guns are made out to be macho idiots? It's politically correct to use a .243 or .257 but if a guy uses a .300 mag (or heaven forbid even larger) he is roasted. Why is less recoil more acceptable? My stepson liked to deer hunt with a .338 win mag. It worked and he liked it. He got roasted on another forum when he mentioned it. If he would have been using a .243 it would have been accepted though. I don't get the mentality. I know guys who hunt deer with a .375 H&H and it doesn't bother me any. I might do it too someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What's wrong with big guns?

I shot a doe this year with my .375 H&H. I know it's unecassarily large for whitetails, but it was a new rifle and I wanted to "try it out". I've got no problem with people using big guns for anything, as long as it's legal.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 PM

I've always figured they can't be too dead. If a rifle puts meat in the freezer I don't see what the difference is.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am a .300 Win mag user and I enjoy the boom when it goes off.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I hunt rifle I like to carry my 8mm model 98 . Some guys say that is way over kill but when I get a shot of the deer is down and not running . When I was 15 I shot a doe in the hind section and she did not get up . Yes I had to short shot her but but she was not wounded and running . I had a friend that shot a deer the same year in the same area and we had to track it . I will not shoot unless it is a shore shot . That thing has browsed many of shoulders of people other than me . I just tell them you have to now how to hold her or she sill bight . My father gave me that gun for my 13th birthday and he almost did not because it messed up his shoulder . That thing has a bight on both ends .

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 PM

This is my take on it. Bigger better then smaller.As soon as guys start with the .223's and 6mm's, and 243's ans 257's I get turned off. Recoil never bothered me much I shoot bad recoil or not, but i do drop game and most always with 1 shot. If you guys fish much you'll understand you don't fish for blues with a trout rod. You don't take a go-cart to the Indy 500 so I say take enough gun to push about a 150 gr. bullet300fps and don't tout the bullet spec.'s just push a 150 and up bullet 3000 fps and keep ypur eyes open....later
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter
Why is it on the internet guys who use powerful guns are made out to be macho idiots? It's politically correct to use a .243 or .257 but if a guy uses a .300 mag (or heaven forbid even larger) he is roasted. Why is less recoil more acceptable? My stepson liked to deer hunt with a .338 win mag. It worked and he liked it. He got roasted on another forum when he mentioned it. If he would have been using a .243 it would have been accepted though. I don't get the mentality. I know guys who hunt deer with a .375 H&H and it doesn't bother me any. I might do it too someday.
Simple answer, I'm right and your wrong!

Actually Moose, I could give a good squat what anyone else uses. They have to feed and shoot the dumb thing, I don't.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 PM

i think this is the first year for quite a whike there hasn't been a ".223 ok for deer?" thread started on here. always a bunch of guys saying it's a great caliber, killed 20 deer with it, ect. i'm with teddy, use enough gun. 55 gr or 255 gr, easy choice.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdchuckhuntr
I've always figured they can't be too dead.

I like that answer!

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
The Man

Little people have little minds. i have what you call the love of the gun. i have spent the last 2 years reseaching, builing, and shooting long range. i have many custom guns but this is a 338 edge 300 rum necked to 338 shooting a 300 grain bullet. it is my elk and long range gun. i can hit water jugs out to 1250 yards. i spent all this year and have 400 rounds experience at 1k to 1250. i made a slight mention about gun on another thread and im waiting for the negative feedback. i mainly hunt with 6mm and 25 but this is a speciality gun i actually used to connect on a deer this year to see how it would do on a deer for expansion. im hoping to get a few idiots in responce because im going to invite them to a shooting match with me and they better bring some money with them. most of them dont know about all the wildcats that are being built for longrange shooting consisting of the big 30's, 338, and 375.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page