Accubonds on deer. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Accubonds on deer.

I've been playing around with accubonds in 2 of my rifles.I have a Kimber Montanna in 300 wsm and worked up an accurate load with 180 gr accubonds.I haven't taken it out hunting for deer with that load because I usually use my .308.The .308 in also a Kimber montanna.I've always used 165 gr Hornady flatbase interlocks with great resulys but decided to tinker with 165 gr accubonds.I know they aren't necessary and there's usually no reason to fix something that isn't broke.Terminal performance has always interested me however and every deer I shoot gets a thorough autopsy.On the first saturday of rifle season I caught some deer bedded below me on small bench.I got a solid rest on my knee,whistled to get the deer to stand up and dropped the big doe right there.She just buckled like I would expect with a high shoulder shot.When I skinned her,there was a small entrance wound and a small exit with minimal blood shot.I literally was able to save the majority of both shoulders.This past saturday,I had a another doe come past.She stopped facing directly awayfrom me about 75 yards.Normally I'd pass on the shot but she was limping so I took my first and hopefully last texas heart shot.The deer dropped in it's tracks and was dead by the time I got there.Upon cutting that deer up,I found that the bullet smashed the pelvic bone,continued through the chest cavity and lodged in the spine in the deer's neck.When I got the hide off from the neck,I found the white tip from the bullet.I dug around a little and a perfectly mushroomed bullet fell out.It penetrated like crazy and appeared to perfrom exactly as advertised but I have to question why the polycarbonate tip was right next to the bullet.It almost appeared to me that the bullet didn't expand until that point.I really don't know.I shot two deer and both dropped in their tracks but I would really have expected that simply from where they were hit.I may be wrong but it seemed to me that it takes quite a bit to get these bullets to expand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Re: Accubonds on deer.

I used accubonds in my 270WSM they shot well but hart shot a buck in MO. and he went about 200 yards dead on his feet Small hole in small hole out . I called Nosler because the tips where breaking off they said that they had defective bullets sent me 1 box I loaded them and about half of them where defective the other half were fine but I hit a doe in Pa @ 225 yards and same thing small hole in and out Got anouther into her neck and just about took her whole head off ? T switched to the SST's they shoot great and are half the price . I haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with them but I'm sure they will work .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

I've killed several deer with 180 gr sst's out my 300 wsm.They expand rapidly but I've had a big exit wound everytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use 150 grain accubonds in my .06, they did the job, but wasn't overly impressed with them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am still trying to figure out what this has to do with Archery Gear?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Same here???????
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanuva
I am still trying to figure out what this has to do with Archery Gear?
the new rage ballistic tips... "It's like throwing a bullet through an animal"

It is the shallowest water that makes the most noise.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Make that three of us. What does this have to do with archery?

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Nothing.Somehow it got posted in this forum.I pm'd the moderator as soon as I saw where it was posted but it's still here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page