25-06 Bullet Performance Experiences - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

25-06 Bullet Performance Experiences

I thought I would start a post where I could get some feedback from other members on the performance, good or bad, of 25-06 bullets. I'll post my 2 experiences from this past year. After much deliberation, I decided on Nosler 100gr ballistic tips. I loaded them in winchester brass, with a winchester large rifle primer, and 55 grains of RL22. I have no idea what velocity I'm getting, as I don't have a chrono, but I would guess somwhere around 3300. I had them shooting about .75 inch groups at 100 yards. I shot two large adult doe this year, one at 60 yards, and one at 263 yards. I had the exact same results on both deer, and same shot placement also. Both deer were standing perfectly broadside when I shot, and both were hit through both lungs. Both deer jumped at the shot, ran 15-20 yards, looked around for about 3 seconds, and fell over dead. I thought I had missed both times. Upon field dressing, there was an entrance and exit on both deer. The lungs of both were completely destroyed, and both hearts had copper shrapnel embedded in them on the impact side. There was a good blood trail to each of them also, from the impact sight, to where they dropped over. When I chose this bullet, I was a bit worried from what I had read from some people about not getting an exit. After these two experiences, I think I'll stick with the B-tips for now, and not worry about spending more money on a tougher constucted bullet. What have your experiences been with either handloaded or factory ammo, with emphasis on bullet performance?

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 25-06 Bullet Performance Experiences

just got a 25 06 friday, got it shootng 1/2MOA groups with 100 gr rem. corelokts Killed a deer Saturday morning, firstshot was my fault, just knicked the backbone, and knocked it down, second shot was tucked right behind the crease in the shoulder, small hole in, about a quarter coming out, absolutely nothing left of the lungs. im in love with the caliber

B J game calls... specializing in custom closed and open reed predator calls

"Hit em again!"
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
The Man

I hereby nominate the .25/06 as the Official Cartridge of HPA....more words have been written about it here than any other cartridge.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
The Man

My loads are 48 gr. IMR 4350 under a 115 gr. Nosler BT..........I have had nothing but good experiences using this combo, it drops deer dead in their track 95% of the time....I can only think of once or twice that I needed more than one shot, and it probably wasn't even necessary then.........

The only bad experience I have had with the 25-06 was with factory ammo, and it was the Hornady Light Mag line....I shot a buck about 6 years ago with this load, it was probably only 30 yards from me when I shot, and it took off running away..............I saw it behind me and then it disappeared.........at the shot I was pretty sure the deer hunched up hard and was hit, however when I went to look for blood I found nothing.............I went the way the deer went and found it piled up 75 yards away and never found a drop of blood, the bullet did exit, but it must not have expanded much if at all.....I think they were 117 or 120 gr interlocks?

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811
After these two experiences, I think I'll stick with the B-tips for now, and not worry about spending more money on a tougher constucted bullet.
As well you should..I have used these bullets in all of my rifles ever since they came out, and have yet to question their performance..They are devastating.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Sage

I've killed several deer with 100gr Btips from 25-06s over the years. Most were "lungers" (some out past 350 yards) and all but one dropped where it had stood.

That one was a big doe that felt compelled to stagger backwards a bit, then fall over.

Have also loaded 100, 117 and 120 Sierras for the 25-06, that killed deer fairly dead, but load nothin' but 100gr Btips now.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been killing deer deader than dead since 1970 with Sierra 117 gr. bt spitz and 120 gr bt hp. Never could see much difference in either. Both print well and leave nothing but soup.Tried the 117 gr Nosler partition just 1 time. Still got 19 of them loaded up. My Remington 700 likes H 870 the best, all I can jam into a case.(compressed loads).I hereby second Winchesterbobs nomination...Who will call for the vote???

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE.... www.AAFORESTRYANDWILDLIFESERVICE.COM
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
I hereby nominate the .25/06 as the Official Cartridge of HPA....more words have been written about it here than any other cartridge.....

True statement. Despite my efforts to keep us on the .270 vs. .30-06 topic.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Who will call for the vote???
Not me! Too much bias on my part.

My first-ever bolt action deer rifle going back to 1978, was a used M700 in 25-06. Eventually sold it, got it back again and will never part with it, even though I have two other ones.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

I like the .25-06 but I feel if you take varmints out of the equation the .270 beats it seven ways to Sunday. But it makes for a better varmint platform than the .270 I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page