Custom stock..what gun to cannibalize? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Custom stock..what gun to cannibalize?

Hi all, what gun would you use as a base?
I NEED a custom fitted stock..all stocks i have used just dont fit me and Im at the point in my life where i want to buy one that 'fits' me. I am thinking of a 30 06. It has done the job for me..I am happy with the recoil so i dont feel like i need to move up to a 7mm mag or anything like that. I am up for buying a new gun and going right to the gunsmith for a custom stock as well as buying an older gun and altering that. Which way is best? I know there have to be alot of used guns on the racks right now where I could start at. Any ideas? Ive been told remington, but tC venture or a savage with an accutrigger could be real nice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Custom stock..what gun to cannibalize?

What do you think you want in a custom stock? cast-off? comb height? special overall length? etc.

If you need a really exotic stock fit, then that is going to be a lot of $$$. There are true custom stock makers, but they are costly as most stocks are made on machines that copy the outline of standards. Stock makers usually start with this as the basis.

If you have an old stock, take and hack it up. uses bondo, fibergalss, etc to build a model stock of what you want. Then just send it with your check to a stock company that will copy from your model. Them a stock/gunsmith can fit and checker and finish for you.

As to the rifle/action to start with. Get the best you can afford, as this is going to be costly project. The minimum would be a rem M700 with a good barrel. the price goes up from there.

But before I'd invest in a custom stock, I'd go to a BIG show like the NRA show this year in Pittsburgh...and try every rifle there, including 22 rf. You might find one that would thrill you on fit. Especially the Euro models that have different standards than american makers. Try Sako, CZ, etc.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Custom stock..what gun to cannibalize?

i just got a savage edge well now its the axis but it is very economic as well as ergonomic only cost me 300 with a scope the only thing is no accu trigger but i like it

Aim small to miss small and put a RAGE in the cage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page