what alway's happens to the 6.5 's ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

what alway's happens to the 6.5 's ?

i can never figure out why the 6.5 's don't catch on here in this country . seems there doomed before they start..despite the fact that they are the shining stars in many benchrest comp. in my opinion the little 6.5x55 or 260 rem would be the ultimate whiteail rifle. giving the edge to the 6.5x55 which has a tad more case capacity and a tad longer neck for seating those long 6.5 bullets. factory loads for the old swede are grossly anemic, due to the fact of old surplus military guns still floating around in this caliber..but with strong modern bolt action rifles and handloading it's knocking on the door of the bigger cal's like the 270 with less powder and a bullet with a B.C (ballistic coefficient)that no 270 bullet can match...i can't figure it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
The Man

Re: what alway's happens to the 6.5 's ?

Me neither, I love the 6.5's from the 264 Winnie to the Swede.

The 6.5 bullet carries a high sectional density which in turn provides great penetration and expansion but with a lot less shoulder abuse than most, no wonder the Swede is used extensively for moose and stag across the pond!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 PM

I have been seeing lots of 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Arisakas
at gunshows lately. I see a 264WM every now and then,
and hardly ever see 260 REMs anywhere, even new ones.
I picked up a custom 6.5 Arisaka last year but havent
even shot it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Regular Visitor

I'm extremely happy with the .260 I bought for my son's first deer rifle. I was skeptical at first and I was really wanting to get him a .243. However when I found a m7 youth in .260 I could not pass up the deal. The shop said he had it two years and he discounted it because it wasn't moving. Initially I was worried because ammo was hard to find and seemed to only 140gn rem cor-lockts available at roughly 25 to 30 dollars a box. Now after two years of reloading for it I fully appreciate the calibers flexibility. I can load it down to 100gn spire points to replicate the .243 in recoil, or take it way up with 140's. My son got his first buck this year with the 100gn spire points on the mentored youth program, and as one would expect he loves the rifle now!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
New Arrival

I picked up a Mod. 7 chambered in .260 when Remington started producing them a few years back. It is, unquestionably, my favorite rifle. I'd always had a thing for the 6.5X55 but was afraid its popularity (of lack of) here might make it tougher to obtain reload materials, parts etc. The .260 hasnt really fared any better. People are afraid of change....me, I wouldnt get rid of that gun for any amount of money...I love it that much. 140gn. handloaded tackdrivers in that gun are THE pill for whitetails!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I shoot out my 25-06 it might just become a 6.5-06. More than likely though I will just get another action to build the 6.5 on.

Part of the reason that they don't catch on is because there is a stupid rule in this state and other states that makes them illegal for hunting elk sized game. Like a 160 grain bullet going 2850 is going to bounce off an elk.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Savage is chambering the 260 for 2011, Howa offers the 6.5x55
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM

For years, the problem with 6.5's was the lack of good bullets. There has been a tremendous resurgence of 6.5 recently, mostly in long range benchrest, with the 6.5-284 perhaps at top of the list, and the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5-47 coming on strong. The .260 Rem and 6.5X55 began the ball rolling, and I suspect more are coming in the next few years. Can the .270 be far behind???

benchrest
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I got a 260 Model 7 back in 1997 when the caliber first came out. I absolutely love it..The caliber combined with short lightweight gun make it absolutely perfect for PA Whitetail hunting. I have killed quite a few deer with it and all but one dropped. The one that didnt drop on the spot only ran 65 yards then dropped. The gun has plenty of knockdown power with little recoil.

It hasnt ever caught on though. I think partially due to the 243 and the 7mm 08 being so close to it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

My fiance uses a Ruger Compact in .260. She has shot 4 deer in the last three years with that rifle. I had her buy it because I was intrigued by the caliber. I might get one my self one day, but it is hard to justify when I own a .243 and a 7mm-08.

Will

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page