Remington 721 Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Remington 721 Question

Normally my 721's sling is secured by two bolts in the fore and aft of the stock, the front bolt has broke loose of the stock and I have repaired it twice and it has fallen out again. I am curious if it is safe to use a front barrel clamp [like the ones used on a pump action rifle] to secure the sling in place.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Remington 721 Question

Sure that would work...never cared for the look of a barrel clamp swivel but they work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Great! It will just be temporary but it will get me through the last few days of the season. Thanks for answering MossyOak1957!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

cheaper to get a lopop sttyle sling like for a shotgun, for the rest of the season than to invest in an expensive barrel band. Barrel bands can change the POI also.

Easy fix after the season to: remove stock, clean out wood area and add some epoxy to the inside of the stock and then re-drill for the bolt and nut. Be sure to grind down the bolt so it does not extend to the metal barrel.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
cheaper to get a lopop sttyle sling like for a shotgun, for the rest of the season than to invest in an expensive barrel band. Barrel bands can change the POI also.

Easy fix after the season to: remove stock, clean out wood area and add some epoxy to the inside of the stock and then re-drill for the bolt and nut. Be sure to grind down the bolt so it does not extend to the metal barrel.
Gotta go with him on this one.

I have a ring on my 243. No problems with it. I will say it has been on there since my dad bought the rifle new in 1983. It looks like it is meant to be there. The blueing is perfect, and who ever manufactured it must have designed it for my barrel contour.

I wouldn't expect that to happen with a 721.

As far as accuracy goes. In theory what he said and what I've read makes sence. I'm still not taking mine off to find out.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page