scope mounting question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

scope mounting question

Hey guys I bought a Mossberg 640kd chuckster 22 mag on Thanksgiving day at a gun auction. This thing is near mint condition.It came with a 3x9 Japanese Tasco on it.I have the scope back as far as I can get it but its still too far forward to see thru it.Does anyone make offset rings that will work in the receiver grooves? Or would I be better off to get it drilled and tapped? I'm not real worried about collector value(they aren't worth that much) although I got a really good deal on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: scope mounting question

I think the problem is the old Tasco scope. You could get 1" scope tip-off mounts that slide into the receiver grooves. IIRC the grooves go all the way to the back so plenty of room for eye relief.

Hop you got the Chuckster with the fold down fore arm, sort of machine gun Kelly style. enjoy it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

It doesn't have the fold down forearm, but it does have a really nice walnut stock.Theres a whole story behind why I bought a chuckster. I was supposed to inherit my grandfathers when he passed,but my uncles had a fit saying grandchildren weren't getting any of his guns.(He did not have a will so it was left up to my grandmother). Anyway I've been looking for one for a few years and just didn't find one that suited me till this one came up and I got it at a REALLY good price. I wanted one that was in the same condition his was,and this one is actually a little nicer. I ended up with it for $130.00.
Anyway how do the tip off mounts work? Never had them before.Will they put the scope back further than it is now? Never had to deal with this sort of problem before,so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Toss the Tasco in the trash and get a new scope with longer eye relief.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Take a look at BKL mounts, the 200 series. Th 254H may work for you. BKLTech

Bill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot WildBill, that looks like what I need.Is it better to go that route or to get it drilled and tapped?Is there any advantage one way or the other? Sorry about all the questions, but it seems like you and Harrysigafoo and a couple others on here really know what you're talking about.All the help and advice is greatly appreciated. BTW,this is the scope I need the screw on cover I posted about on Nov.26. Thanks again, Don

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

the 640k is a sweet shooter.My dad bought a new 1 many years ago.He had the same problem,you can get a base that it dovetailed on the bottom and weaver style on top. They are 2 peice.Then get weaver extention rings,you will gain an inch.I got them through Cabelas.You can send me a P.M.for more info,hope this helps!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2
Thanks alot WildBill, that looks like what I need.Is it better to go that route or to get it drilled and tapped?Is there any advantage one way or the other? Sorry about all the questions, but it seems like you and Harrysigafoo and a couple others on here really know what you're talking about.All the help and advice is greatly appreciated. BTW,this is the scope I need the screw on cover I posted about on Nov.26. Thanks again, Don
I've used those mounts for a few applications. I kind of had the same situation with the CZ Scouts I bought for my grandsons.

Drilling a tapping is or may be an option. I don't know what the going rate per hole is today. I used to charge $15, so four at $60 plus mounts or 35-40 for mounts alone. I guess its your choice. All I can tell you the BLK's are good stuff. I certainly wouldn't hesitate using them again.

Ah, the turret cover. Shoot me an PM with your snail mail address. I'll send you a couple. Hopefully one will fit.

Bill
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

sent you a pm WildBill. Do you do any gunsmithing anymore?Just curious as I have about 3 or 4 other little things I want to get done to a couple guns.Nothing major and not in a hurry to get done but if you're interested let me know. Thanks, Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page