Caliber questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Caliber questions

I have seen many different people asking about calibers for youth and small framed hunters or female hunters.
I have noticed that when a child or a lady is recommended a firearm it is almost always somewhere between the .223 and the .270 range. Many will tell you haw a well placed shot from these will sufficiently kill deer dead.

Now when a rifle caliber is suggested for the adult male hunter we almost always star the caliber at about .30 and work our way up to .45

this is going to sound silly to some but if a .243 is sufficient for a deer in one set of hands why wouldn't it be sufficient in any set of hands?
Why the discrepancy in suggestions?

Is it an ego thing for guys?

It is the shallowest water that makes the most noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Caliber questions

Its because men are typically larger framed and can normally handle a gun with more recoil then a kid or woman can. Its always good for the experience to be a positive one instead of a shoulder jarring .300 Win bad day. With this they can learn the proper shooting form without moving to anticipate the recoil or jerking the trigger. I personally shoot a 7mm mag because I like the ballistics and knockdown power. Can I get the same from another gun, yeah, but this just happens to be the one I chose. There are plenty of women out there that shoot .30 caliber plus rifles.

Sergeant U.S.ARMY 99-06
Combat Infantryman OIF I & III
Small Arms Master Gunner
Dist Bradley Gunner
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

100% with shadowchaser. I have a 10yr old and plan to get him a .243. Nice, reasonable priced ammo, plenty of power for deer, coyote, etc. Don't want him to not want to shoot because his shoulder hurts or it's too loud. He can keep the gun all his life or put it towards another of larger caliber when he's bigger and can fully handle the recoil. It's like starting out on a mini bike and graduating to a motorcycle, you have to learn how to handle it and respect it. I started with a .257 Roberts and took a deer the first year I had it. where I hunt has some big open fields and I realized as I got older that it may not have the power that I wanted for longer shots. I then got a .270 and just didn't like it. I then got my current Ruger 7mm mag. Plenty of power and I believe in it. We all try to make well placed shots, I hope. Sometimes for some reason, flinching, buck fever, wind, etc, our shots are a little off the mark, but not on purpose. I'd rather have that extra power to put the animal down than to wound it. Having a large caliber is no excuse for not learning how to shoot and it certainly isn't a macho thing. Everyone has their minimum caliber that they would use to deer hunt. Sure you can kill deer with a .223 or a .17. Are they optimal deer hunting cartridges, and I have both, no, no their not. IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

A friend of mine asked to use my .243 for the first day so his wife could hunt. They went out in the morning, came home and her husband went back out the afternoon hunt and used my .243. He shot once, hitting the top of both lungs and dropped the deer right in his tracks, no movement what so ever.......his mind has since changed about the .243 and is lookin gto get one. It may not be enough for a poor shot but with a well placed shot it's deadly.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Part of the Community

bought my girl a 240 wby mag with m. brake and lop shortened ,, she loves it kicks like 223 with brake ..not hunting yet hope next year when she turns 8.......

" SIR BOB " king of the money hunts.....
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

My 8 year old daughter shoots a .223. Its a great starter round to get them used to the loud bang of a rifle compared to a .22.

Sergeant U.S.ARMY 99-06
Combat Infantryman OIF I & III
Small Arms Master Gunner
Dist Bradley Gunner
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

A 243 or 223 or 25-06 is perfectly fine for deer. The reason for suggesting them to women and children is because they kick less, that is correct. I think the reason we suggest something larger for men is because this is the real world and "bad shots" happen. With a larger caliber like a 270, 280, 7mm, 300 etc we can "afford" to make a less than perfect hit and still make a kill. Recoil is not AS MUCH of a factor in flinching with men as it is with women and kids.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM
The Man

I asked a similar question as the OP did about a year ago. It makes no sence to me at all. Fine for women and children, but for some reason deer will somehow run for miles if shot by an adault male in some peoples minds.

I used to hunt with a big gun (7mm RM, 300WSM, etc...). All I found is that ammo costs more, less pleasent to practice, deer run just as far as if shot from a 243.

I've had one deer get away from the shot from my 243. It wouldn't have made a difference if I would have hit it with a 460 weatherby mag.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

how do I put this...
I am NOT being critical of women or smaller framed hunters or children. I want to know why if a 243 is sufficient in their hands it isn't sufficient in mine?

my sentiments is the first two sentences in hunt/fish365's post.

When I wanted a .270 I was told that it was a gun "for my sister" that I needed to "man up" and shoot a big boy rifle.
I have recoil issues from not being started with a proper gun, I learned to shoot a rifle with a 30-06 when I was 11.

I don't understand why a 270 will kill a deer for "my sister" but in my hands it is "not enough gun"...

It is the shallowest water that makes the most noise.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartemj06
how do I put this...
I am NOT being critical of women or smaller framed hunters or children. I want to know why if a 243 is sufficient in their hands it isn't sufficient in mine?

my sentiments is the first two sentences in hunt/fish365's post.

When I wanted a .270 I was told that it was a gun "for my sister" that I needed to "man up" and shoot a big boy rifle.
I have recoil issues from not being started with a proper gun, I learned to shoot a rifle with a 30-06 when I was 11.

I don't understand why a 270 will kill a deer for "my sister" but in my hands it is "not enough gun"...
Ummm, sorry, but that's a 'teacher' issue there, nothing to do with the rifle.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page