Slug gun scope help.. Missed tonight..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Slug gun scope help.. Missed tonight.....

I have a Mossberg 500 slug gun, shooting Winchester 2 3/4" 12 g 1600 PFS 1 oz. The scope is a Bushnell 1.5 x 4.5.

I missed tonight, struggling with these longer shots (100yds) with this gun, loosing my confidence with this gun. Up state with the rifles, this shot I have hit over and over...... this slug gun is driving me nutz. I did sight it in up state during bear season - 30 yds - 1" high.

1 - is there a better scope I should have on this gun?
2 - are there better slugs to use then what I have?

I am going to gun shop tomorrow AM to see what I can improve on this gun. Then, I am going down to the field and take some shots at 100yds.

Any other suggestions slug, scope, etc......?

Getting frustrated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Re: Slug gun scope help.. Missed tonight.....

I have a Mossberg brand cantilever barrel on my 870. Leupold VariX 1 2x7. Hornady SST 300 grain. After deer season, I take the barrel off for turkey and put it back on. It has always been dead on. It shoots 3-4 inch groups at 100.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 PM

with slug guns you need to find the right slug for that gun when I had my slug gun I bought 5 or 6 different type slugs and seen which patterned the best and fine tuned it from there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

316...having used slug guns for over 20yrs, I'll tell ya that B292 is dead on! The 500 is a great slug gun but you gotta match the slug to the gun. Are you using the rifled barrel with sabot slugs or a smooth bore with rifled slugs? I am assuming the rifled barrel & sabots. Going back to B292s statement, the slug you're shooting well at 30 yards, may be covering half the county at 100 yards. I know its exspensive, more so with sabots, but try a bunch and out to full 100 yard shots. Like Islander, I had an 870 with a Mossberg barrel on it. It would lay 3 original Federal Premiums in a 1 1/4 circle all day at 100 yards. When Federal went to the Barns bullet in their slugs I had to switch because they shot so bad out of my gun. I can't even begin to recommend a slug for you here because they all shoot so different. Good luck!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Opening day ain't the same without friends to share it with!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NRA Life Member</span>
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM

If its a rifled barrel, check out the Lightfield shells. They shoot good in my Mossberg 835. Start on a solid bench at 50 yds. When you find the best ammo, go buy a bunch of it and begin practice at 100 yds.

benchrest
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Smooth bore with Rifles Slugs. When I had it up state for bear season, 1" high at 35 yds shot after shot.

I am getting frustrated. Last night hunted 1PM to dark, all the deer came out of the ground blind side. So, today I sit in the ground blind, doesn't he come out the other side I sat in all day yesterday???? (O&(#Y%(#&$(#$*(#$Y Funny thing is too, I had a decoy (doe) out, he didn't even pay any attention to it, just fed. I thought the rut had really kicked in,,,,,?

I think I am going down to French Creek, see about maybe a better scope, (3rd kid just arrived 3 weeks ago, new gun probably not going to work....) I will get a bunch of different slugs. I heard about those Lightfield, maybe I will try them.

Am I fighting against nature here trying to reach out to 100 yds with this gun, or do I just need to find the right match slug?

Is a smooth bore, rifles slugs at 100 yds just a right match thing?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 AM

I have witnessed literally dozens of people shoot their smoothbores at the range and I will be the first to tell you that I have seen very few smoothbore guns/loads shoot well at 100 yards. I don't want to discourage you, but in my experience it is no small task to group well at 100 yards with a smoothbore, especially shooting the old school "pumpkinball" style slugs. The few I have seen accomplish this task were all shooting rifled slugs like the Brennekes. Again, i am not saying it is not possible, just that in my experience I have seen more smoothbores shoot unacceptable groups(for hunting) at 100 yards than I have seen put 3-4" groups from the bench.

The above advice is very good about playing around with different styles/brands of slugs. I have seen plenty of guns, even those of the same make/model, respond very differently to different rounds. It will be a long and possibly sore experience, but that is the only way you are going to determine your guns capabilities.

Is your scope mounted on the reciever or the barrel? If it is mounted on the reciever, you must remember that the barrel will always have some "play" in it, while the scope stays with the reciever. A cantilever mount moves with the play in the barrel and seems to eliminate this issue. However, I have also had some issues with cheap scopes not being able to handle the mule kicks that the slugs are famous for.

As far as the lightfields, they are saboted and while I am no gunsmithing guru, I don't see them performing very well in a smoothbore. They are intended to be shot from a rifled barrel, but maybe someone with some more knowledge here could chime in with their thoughts on the subject.

I currently shoot a 500 with a rifled cantilever barrel and a mid-grade scope. After trying a number of different slugs in the gun I found the lightfields to be the best from my gun. On a bench, I typically see about 3-4" groups at 100 yards.

I actually have a 12ga 500 rifled barrel that I would part with if you are interested. It has rifle sights on it, however the front sight is damaged and would need to be replaced(prob $7-10). PM if you would like as I have no need for it anymore.

Good luck and keep at it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 AM

I'm in agreement with Esox. Smoothbores and rifled slugs get a bit shaky past 50 to 75 yards. Saboted slugs are designed to be shot out of rifled barrels, not smoothbores. I doubt it is your scope. I have a Bushnell 1X-4X shotgun scope on my .45/70 guide gun and it functions flawlessly. (that rifle kicks like a mule)Try some different rifled slugs but in all reality, try to keep your shots under 100 yards if at all possible. Have you ever shot your gun at 100 yards to see what it does or did you just sight in at 35 yards? Not trying to be a jerk but if you've never shot your gun at 100 yards, you don't have any business taking shots at an animal at that distance.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
The Man

I agree 100% with what everybody else above posted. Just wanted to add that past 50 yards rifled slugs drop like a stone. I've seen some that if sighted at 50 yards were as much as 10" low at 100 yards.

Venison - The other fast food
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

been shooting a few Mosberg slug guns this year, mostly for Chautauqua county.

Regarding the scope, Busnel makes fine scope. But those 12 ga slugs really put the recoil to the scope. I have a Bushnell on one 12 ga slug gun, and a red dot on the another, and one has open sights. the slug gun with the Bushnel is shooting 1 1/2 inch groups with Remington Sluggers at 50 yards from a bench. No problems.

Just a suggestion, hunting shots are of hand. Most hunters can't group 1 foot at 100 yards ofhand without a rest, even with a 243. The slow moving slug, in the barrel, means the gun is recoiling (usually upward) with the slug in the barrel. I hold most of my slugs to 50 yards and try to use my mono-pod shooting stick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page